Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer DB (and DTS) from SQL7 to SQL2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Programmer
Jan 10, 1999
US
We've bought a new server which will have SQL2000 (once it's installed). We're currently running SQL7. I'm sure these questions have been answered a hundred times, but when I looked for a concise answer I did not find it, so I'd appreciate any and all help.

1) What's the easiest way to transfer our current SQL database(s) to the new server (including DTS and Stored Procedures, etc)? SQL 2000 is not yet installed, so one option we're considering is to install SQL7 and restore backups of the current DBs and do an upgrade afterward (if that's easier). But I'm looking for what you folks consider the best way of going about this.

2) I believe I've read here that the DTS is contained in the MSDB database. Is there anything else contained in the MSDB database in SQL7 that would prevent me doing a restore from the SQL 7 MSDB database to MSDB on SQL 2000? Or perhaps the better question is the best way to transfer a DTS from SQL7 to SQL 2000 (if that wasn't already included in the answer to the question above)?

3) Is there anything different about the Master DB in SQL 2000? I'm assuming it would be unsafe to do a backup on the SQL7 server and restore on the SQL 2000 server. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! [ponytails]
Bev

I've had a chance to do quite a bit more research, so never mind. I DID find the info in the answers to questions that others had asked. Keep up the good work!
Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back