Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer citrix xp to new servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevends

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2003
BE
what's the best manner to transfer citrix from one server to another, because we are changing the hardware in are citrix server park

what are the thinks that i need to look for, don't want to make faults

let me know, thanks

If it's new hardware, your best option is a fresh build, IMO. You really don't want to even attempt to copy a server build; even though SIDGen might be good at rebuilding the SID, you'll be in trouble with hardware drivers from day one until the day you give in and rebuild.

If all the servers are identical then this should be as simple as building one, installing all apps, then using your favourite imaging software (Ghost, Altiris, etc) to create the rest, lastly installing MetaFrame on the freshly imaged servers - all of which can be scripted and done in unattended mode. Better still than installing the apps with the server images, use IM, SMS or some other scripted application packaging method.

Since these are application servers, user data shouldn't be affected. If users are storing data locally on your current MetaFrame servers, then it's time to re-think the architecture and use policies to store data elsewhere.

If you're running MetaFrame XP, this is all very straightforward, as you can build the servers and add them to your existing farm, then decommission existing servers once your test cycle has completed.

Never underestimate the usefulness of an extended test period, or proper planning.

I know this is a bit generic, but I know nothing of the size of your Citrix farm or the hardware or software involved.

Hope this helps

ok but what are the things that i need to do, starting with point 1 then 2 and so on

i also need to transfer the DB for the Citrix Management Console

thanks in advance,

1 Move database to SQL or Oracle. (If you can) Otherwise follow destructions on the Citrix Website tomove the data store.

2 Build new server and join existing farm

3. Test new server that runs for 4 and 5

6. Remove old server from farm

Just in case you have misunderstood the significance of the Data Store being on a database.

The Data Base is the Data Store and is not just for the Management Console. The management Console is just a Java app that allows you to view and configure your entire Farm. The Database/Data Store is much much much more than for the CMC.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back