Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer ADSL or CABLE on different machine or O/S

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
How Can I transfer a CABLE or ADSL connection onto a different computer or operating system. If I dont have the software provided to me by the owner of a PC except the username and password. Is there any other way transfer the icon from the previous machine to the new machine desktop. Is ther any way to test every thing thoroughly on a totally different site where ADSL or cable modem line is allocated. Thanks.

What software are you needing to transfer over? Is this a connection from AOL or Earthlink? Barring a connection from one of the "big boys" most ADSL or Cable connections don't require any software. I know Earthlink installs its own version of IE and some other software like parental controls and pop-up blocker and so on. AOL of course installs its software. But my ADSL connection at home requires no extra software as it is from a local ISP.

----------------------------
"Security is like an onion" - Unknown

Just like modem service all needs to be done is username & password. & Telephone No for different ISP if I have these 3 then I can connect to any internet service from any where. Whats the requirement for ADSL & CABLE. Thanks

ADSL and CABLE require a either the telephone company or the cable company to run an authorized connection to your home. They are not, unlike dial-up, portable connections.

That means in order to test --every thing has to be done on that particular site where the connection is allocated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back