Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer A Package From one server to Another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittle

ISP
Sep 10, 2002
US
I have a live SQL server and a test SQL server.
I obviously try things out on my test server and then
duplicate 'local packages' from my test server to my live server. At the moment the only way I know how to do this is to set up a local package from scratch on the live server. I would like to be able to just copy/export from my test server to my live server via enterprise manager in the same way as you can with tables.

Is there a way of doing it?

If you can see both servers with the same copy of Enterprise manager then the following will work.

Open the package, under the package menu select 'save as', you can then select the server to save the package to.

Skittle when you do that, go into the new package and change your connections to the new server or the DTS package will run but it will update the data on your original server.

Hi!
How to transfer a package if you don't have the possibility to view them both in the enterprise manager?

Regards,
Magnus

YOu can save it as a Visual Basic file and then copy the file physically to the other server. Then iin ENterprise Manager there is an option to open a package and you can choose the file you created and open it up onthe new server. What I said about changing the connection proerties will still apply.

Thanks for the answer, but I can't figure out where to find the option to open a package. =(

Thanks,
Magnus

Right click onthe words DAta Transformation Services in EM, you should see it there.

In Enterprise Manager right click on Data Transformation Services [folder itself] - Open package...

Miriam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back