Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer a big file across internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

satellite03

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
IN
is it possible to transfer a big file (~ 400 MB ) with a less amount of time across the internet ?

what is the way ? probabily no e-mail system wont support this much big attachment . and if so it will take large amount of time to upload also . is there any way/alternative ?

It does not matter if you split it or not, the amount of time will remain.

For large files like that, you should use FTP, search google for some ftp clients if needed. Of course, the receiving side has to have an FTP server, or service.

Otherwise, you can split them in Outlook Express, OE will split them into a number of messages, lets say you set the limit to 1 MB, that will generate +/- 400 and some messages. Of course, both ISP's have to be able to handle it, which they usually don't.

Other alternative, split them into smaller pieces with Winzip or Winrar, and transfer the pieces, via email, MSN or other.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

To add to marcs41 remarks,

. 400 mb is not that big a file, but it may well exceed email limits;
. Seriously consider compressing the file prior to transfer. Winzip at least as a trial is free:
As you have XP Pro, use the FTP server to transfer files this large (that cannot be zipped or otherwise compressed).

You could also consider using a P2P file sharing application such as eMule, Kazaa etc..

This is what the developers would say is the reason the software was created!!!

It allows you to resume lost downloads and eMule has a nice feature of fixing corrupt parts of the download as you download it.

If your file has sensitive data in it then you might want to consider adding password protection to the zip file, or encrypting the file.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Do it the Microsoft way (for slow Dial-up), stick it on a CD and post it.

you can always try IM programs like AIM or yahoo/MSN Messenger. they seem to work fine for large files.

Go here and use "Send it"....the recipient will be notified in an E-mail then they just click the link and is downloaded to their P C....up to 1.0 Gb is allowed....also good place to store stuff to bring back later if want to (7 days) before it is removed.....the up and download speed is of course Dependant on your Dial-up/DSL connection etc.

hmm...i find it difficult for dial-up modem. it will take too much of time.

i had one file splitter. but splitting 400mb is not suitable to transfer.

winzip could not compress much. is there any extreme compression software ?

in fact ,some of my friends was taking about to send it by images . what is that ? is it possible for dial-up modem (56kb) ?

you can always try winace. i believe it's compression is a bit better than winzip's.

Depending on what you're trying to send, I doubt you'll see a significant improvement in compression between WinZip and anything else.

By significant, I mean more than a 10-15% size difference in the compressed file, and what difference will it make if the final file is 200 MB or 240 MB? It's still too large for email.

(Ok, it matters for dial-up downloads, but only in the "download in a day" vs. "download in a day and a half" sort of way.)

My suggestion would be one of the two already made -- FTP or burn to CD and mail/overnight. If it's business related, both of these options are probably readily available. If it's personal, the time lag in mailing shouldn't matter too much.

Coakerb has a nice middle of the road solution -- put the file on a public Web server, then let the recipient pull it down at his/her convenience. It's pretty much FTP with a pretty GUI interface.

in short, since the time the CD option was posted by linney, the CD would already be delivered by now ;-)

Hi all

A little off topic, but i found this thread by search for "attachment outlook".

I tried to email a PDF file to a friend [not really into computing].
The pdf is only 148K.
We both use the same ISP, so that shouldn't be an issue.
I emailed it to myself and received it with no problems.

I don't use outlook.. outlook express & i'd appreciate a pointer to the correct location of any option ? configuration item for incoming email in outlook & outlook express ( sorry i don't know version numbers etc ) & it's an older pc so i'd guess the operating system might be win98.

I don't want to have to install Outlook ... etc if I can avoid it, but I do want to be prepared as it's a 20 min
trip to the friend's place. If I can I will try and help
her by phone in the first instance.

a bit more on-topic.
I found using zip programs on binary files - bmps, pics
etc pretty useless, - ie the zip would often be larger than
the original file or all files in directory...

However results on databases & text files ( without signature paras ) was remarkable.

regards & tia

Ian C

As has been said already, you should really check out a p2p network, one that allows you to select a specific user to connect to rather than sharing segments amongst users (eMule, etc)

I can recommend Soulseek. All you need to do is both have the client and add each other as listed users so that you can browse the shared folder.

Nice thing about this is that you can stop and resume at will, so you can split the download over a few days.

Personally i'd just put the CD in the post tho.... ;-)

iandoreeninvan,
What was the error you received when you tried to email the PDF file? 148k is small enough to be emailed without problems?

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Have you both got Adobe Acrobat Reader installed so you can read .pdf files?

P2P has always seemed to me to have more overhead than direct protocols like FTP. P2P is really more for distributing big files to many people at once without a big, expensive server.

Unless you've got a really high-speed connection at both ends, FedEx is the way to go.

To gpalmer711

--- text of her email follows ----

Ian

Got your emails but I did not get the attachments it says that they were
deleted.

Thanks
Noreen
----- Original Message -----
To: <noreenjs@optusnet.com.au>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 11:29 PM
Subject: song9

> asis
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- ----

> The following section of this message contains a file attachment
> prepared for transmission using the Internet MIME message format.
> If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any other MIME-compliant system,
> you should be able to save it or view it from within your mailer.
> If you cannot, please ask your system administrator for assistance.
>
> ---- File information -----------
> File: TakeTheseChainsFromMyHeart_NoreenW.pdf
> Date: 30 Aug 2004, 11:47
> Size: 46805 bytes.
> Type: Acrobat
>

------end reply --------------------

I've asked for details / version #s / op system etc.

For linney,

I have acroread #6 for reading pdf's.
& primoPdf ( for creating pdf's).

I think she has a version of acrobat reader.
The problem is that ? strips the pdf out of
the message. I'm assuming at the moment it's
because of a file size limit. I know pegasus
{ email prog i use } allows me to reject
attachments > whatever K or M.

thanks for help

Ian C

Try zipping the attachments and sending them as zipped files.

329570 - Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1

Some IP's remove what they consider to be a virus, have you spoken to Optusnet?

I guess what we really need to know is exact message being received by Noreen.

It sounds as though the attachment is being stripped by a anti virus program. We have certain files that are not allowed though .pdf in not one of them. .zip, .mdb, .vbs, and several others won't make it past the main server. The ISP may have issues with .pdf though I don't know why they would. It may also be the title of the email as some chain letters have been suspected to contain virii. Try a different title.

Jim W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back