Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transaction rollback question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brice

Programmer
Dec 16, 2000
US
I have a scenario where I will be updating (incrementing) a field in an MS SQLServer table multiple times within a transaction. If I call SetAbort, will all of the updates be rolled back?

Basically, the scenario goes like this:

I have a collection of order items that need to have an item# assigned to them before inserting the record in the order table. To do this, I have a lookup table that contains the batch# assigned to these orders and the most recently used item# in the batch + 1 . When the SP is called to insert the new order, I grab the item#, increment it in the lookup table (so it's ready for the next order item), and then insert the order record.

I realize all of the inserted orders should be rolled back, but what I'm wondering is if I call SetAbort, will all of the increments that were done to item# in the lookup table be rolled back so that the item# value is the first one I started with. It seems to me they should, but I want to make sure.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I'll try and elaborate.

Thanks,
Brice

Yes! All of the updates will be rolled back .Because updating the lookup table is in same transaction as inserting into order tabble.

Regards!

zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

This will cause roll back all the transaction as it is
in a single transaction.

Hi,
The Funda of using this is either the transaction should commit or rollback, here you are having update & insert in the same transaction so SetAbort will rollback all the changes upto that mark
Regards
BG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back