Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transaction logs problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2002
US
I have a space problem, I didn't turn on circular logging and my logs basically filled up my hard drive, what would be the best thing to do to reclaim space...

Exchange keeps 2 empty files in case the drive fills up. This space is used to do a clean shutdown of the store when the disk runs out of space.
Copy some of the log files to a remote computer, delete those files, then try to start the store.
Delete the oldest log files first.

Good luck.

If you have a volume on your exchange server that has enough space to contain all of the log files, then I would change the Log location in ESM. It will automatically move all the files to the new location. Then try to mount your stores. Once the stores are mounted you will probably want to complete a full backup on the server. After that, decide whether or not to enable circular logging.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

I installed veritas and set exchange to do a full backup and then purge, now I have gigs of space back...But one question I read that you should never delete any logs...

If possible, don't. If there is no choice, then delete the oldest 20-50. If you have 3+ months worth of logs you can generally delete anything over 30 days with little repercussion. Just look at the file date.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back