Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training Courses and retraining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a grant to do a training course after being made redundant - but I can't decide what the hell is the wisest thing to do!!

I have some database oracle admin experience (setting up database, importing, cronjobs), some business objects experience (admin, security, report writing) and a pretty good level of SQL programming - I have also done some project management in the past and SQL server admin a couple of years ago too!

I dont know if I should put all my eggs in one basket and do an oracle course (cant afford the official oracle university one though!) and do an associate exam after it on my own, do a more generic database admin/warehousing one or even a MS certified one OR prince 2 project management course as a good long term backup- BUT I really really do not enjoy project management!!

my other issue is im am not going to be working in a professional capacity for about a year as I am going to go travelling while I still can! so im worrying about future proofing my skills and that the course I do now wont be a waste!

If ANYONE has any advice I would really really appreciate your insights!!

How long do you have to use the grant? If there is no expiration date (or if it is later than you intend to stop traveling and go back to work) you might consider waiting - then whatever you do decide to study, it will be current.

If your travel plans are flexible, you might look for short-term contract opportunities along the way. I've been a "migrant data worker" for more than 25 years . . .

I was in a similar situation some years back and I used the money to get Microsoft Certified in Visual Basic. In the end I didn't move to a VB job but the certification seemed to impress the folk at interview.

If you've got practical experience in SQL Server then I'd say go for the MS certification. Even if your budget won't cover the full series of courses you'll be going to interview saying "I'm part way through my certification" and that's got to sound good to them.

Geoff Franklin

papadba i have until april 1st to have the course paperwork all signed off by the trainer and into the grant people!! not much time!

i dont intend to work in the next 9 months to be honest- just travel- then i have a years visa in canada for 2012...

alvechurchdata - thanks for that input- i am now thinking of an MS certified one alright but its been years since i touched SQL server so not sure if il understand it!! but at least it would compliment my oracle experience (even though it is by no means DBA level!)

this is such a tough choice made worse by i have to decide ASAP lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back