Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training and Certification 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderForest

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2003
US
You can see from my profile I tend to be self-taught and self-certified, but in this day and age it is no doubt more noteworthy to have some verifiable training and certs. From an inexpensive perspective, what would be a credible security certification to obtain that would help with ones credentials?

Getting answers before I'm asked.
Providing answers if I can.

If you have non, start with Security+. It's a good appetizer for the other stuff like C|EH, SSCP, and CISSP.

CISSP,ISC2 Affiliate & Instructor, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

iownroot,
I and attending a college that offers a course in Computer Forensics. I am very interested but, I have heard you need a programing background is this true. I work on a helpdesk and have no programing experiance. I am hoping to stay with my current company just move into security. Any ideas???

some knowledge of DOS & Linux/Unix helps but can be picked up quickly. Mac is another one you can pick up along the way.

today's Forensics software packages have the look/feel of Windows, but knowing some of the principles/language goes a long way in understanding security from the forensics point of view.

good luck and enjoy your course.

To get into forensics and start learning it programming knowledge is not always needed, however, if you ever want to be serious about forensics or information security, you will have to learn some decent programming skills eventually. So you might as well start now. Some of my most cherished tools and tricks concerning pentesting are executed via shell scripting.

CISSP,ISC2 Affiliate & Instructor, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

Thanks eyec and iownroot
That being said what language do you recommend? Should I focus on c+ or c++ what do you guys think?

security and forensics are two sides of the same coin - one is proactive the other reactive.

concentrating in one with an understanding of the other would be ideal.

your selection of the primary technology determines the languages/systems you should concentrate in.

server sides include Cisco, Apache, IIS, etc.

clients sides include Linux, Windows, BSD, etc.

I can see that you're in IT mgmt. I'm going for CISM this june and you might want to look at it. Check isaca.org. The next step would be CISSP "after" CISM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back