Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic Engineering on nortel 7480 passport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2004
IN
Would like to know if there are any documentatioon for Trffice engineering between the Nortel 7480 passport nodes?

Any idea where I can get them?

Yes, there's a lot of documentation available, and several different ways to achieve "traffic engineering". Can you specify what sort of traffic engineering you're trying to achieve? IP QoS, ATM/MPLS traffic engineering, PORS/DPRS engineering?

There are documents available for each of these types of traffic engineering, and more. The best long term solution for you is probably to contact your Nortel support folks to request a login to which includes the user-permissions for "documentation". You can request this online, but you still need details of one of your local support folks to act as a 'sponsor' for this information.

Let us know what sort of traffic engineering you are trying to achieve - we might be able to help you out without you downloading GBs of NTPs off the web.

Looking for PORS/DPRS routing.

Specifically need to identify the exact trunk used by a DLCI, (we have multiple links between same node) and also want learn abt routing data thru predefined trunks and also Voice (over Networking).

Thanks for your help!!

I'm really sorry that I'm going to sound like a scratched record here, but you so need to get a copy of the NTPs for whatever software level you have! If you can, find out your local Nortel support folks and get a copy of the NTPs from them. It may or may not be possible to identify what trunks your DLCI is taking. Eg: if you are using multiple DPRS trunks and LOADSHARING, then a single VC may be distributed over multiple links in the link group. There's a stack of features which might be appropriate to your desired outcome: variance, loadspreading vs loadsharing, percentage of PORS configuration (if any) on each link...
Look in NTP 241-5701-425 "DPRS Guide" and 241-5701-435 "PORS Guide"
As a start though, you know how to check the DPRS attribute for each trunk, right? Things like "d trm lg/* lk/*" and
"d rtg top node/PARIS lg/*"
And also you know that you can ping (using DPRS) to modules and/or along individual VCs? Eg:
ping rtg dpn mid/100 [you can also use ping -rtd dpn mid/100 foe the round trip delay], and
ping fruni/10 dlci/100 vc

There's also quite a few ways to route (PORS, only) traffic across particular predefined trunks which are all pretty much the same. They are all variants of minimising some metric along the best path. For a BTDS, for example, the default is "trunk cost". Do a "d -p trk/* pa" and you will probably see the default of 128. Look at a PORS service such as a switched voice call or a BTDS (under the PLC in this case) and you'll see a "pathAttributeToMinimize" set to "cost". You can also set it to "delay", which chooses the minimum total delay across all available paths.
Other similar features you can use are supported/permitted trunk types (eg: you can prevent a service using a trunk deemed not to be adequately 'secure' (by changing the "requiredSecurity" attribute (BTDS PLC), or the "trunk security" (TRK PA).
Alternatively, you can also set a manual path, an explicit list of modules and trunks to use.
As much as it pains me to say it (that's why my handle implies being peaved at how crap NTPs are!) get hold of, and read, the NTPs! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back