Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trading Mini Case for Tower--MB issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainshane

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
I have one of those little gateway flex-cases, and would like to swap out the guts and transfer to a bigger, more efficient case. Anyone have any suggestions about where to get a suitable case, or any hints on what to look for/avoid? Thanks.

my personal preference is a case where I can install lots of fans for cooling (so I can cool as necessary, not to fill the case up with fans first)

Also, you may need new cables for the components, as they are going to be further apart than in a compact case.

Apart from this, cases are almost purely preference, on price and styling - but I'm sure people here can share some horror stories about cases you may wish to avoid :)

I really like the Thermaltake Xaser 5000. That's the case I own. It has removeable drive trays, drive rails, 5 case fans, fan speed controller built in, temp. reading inside the case, etc.

Great case, I love it!

Small cases may have I/O bus risers and I/O cards plugged into the riser. If your I/o cards or blank slots are parallel to the width of the case you are limited in the I/O you can transfer. So it may not be a good choice.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful hints.

Franklin--What I consider inefficient: First of all, it's a small case, with one fan(the power supply fan). It has three PCI slots, none of which were utilized when I bought the system. I've added two cards since then(video with HS and wireless nic), which significantly increases the case temp. The computer will just shut down at random times after running for several hours, and will not boot back up for awhile. I open the case and it seems really hot in there, although I don't have a temp guage. After it's cooled for an hour or so, it starts back up, so I'm thinking it has some temp issues maybe? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Shaner--that Thermaltake Xaser 5000 sounds really cool. Where can I get that? About how much?

Edfair--no riser buscards in this case, but an excellent point to consider.

Madonnac--excellent point about longer cables, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back