Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trading floor jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

paultaylor04

Technical User
Oct 16, 2003
US
I'm looking for some advice in here about an opportunity I am consider to be a network engineer for a NYC company with a 200-seat trading floor. I've consulted for financial companies before but never worked in the MIS dept of one. Although there are desktop techs who spend their day on the trading floor, I wouldn't have to go in there unless it's a networking problem.

- what's the culture like on the trading floors? Is it a nasty environment?
- How do these kind of companies treat you?

Basically the money is good but I'm trying to find the downsides. Currently I work for a consulting corp.

Thank you

From what I've heard -- the traders think they are god. They also curse like a sailor. And the primary job criteria is speed in getting your job done (time is money).

Chip H.

Traders only have one timescale for a problem to be fixed ..... YESTERDAY.

They work hard, play harder, curse, bully, expect everything yesterday and don't like PC.s Laptops Screens or telephones not working for even one second of the working day.

You have to be able to take the flack, take a joke, take the p*&% & give as good as you get !!!!!! Oh AND BE ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM :)

PS Which NY company? (You don't have to answer !!!!)

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

So in other words if you aren't used to verbal abuses earlier in your career, a trading floor job may not be a suitable environment to work at. Right?

Can anybody tell me about the advantages of working on a floor, if any? I don't see any myself

Usually good money (& BONUSES)

Great social life (within IT & with Traders (if you fulfill above criteria)!!!!)

Excellent at making those "Fix it NO skills well above average.

Thrive on those adrenhilin hit moments ..... nowhere better.

All the guys I worked with (NY Crew) ... spot on !!!!

Want to play with up to the second technology?
Want to learn quick?
Want to know how to break/beat/mend a system in 30 secs?

Jump in !!!!!!!!! :)
Have fun !!!!!!!! :)

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Ahhh the wonderful world of finance...

Yeah I would agree, when things go wrong they will tear you a new one. But once you get it fixed and get it fixed fast they will be the first to drag you out to the bar and get you right drunk.

As the previous posters said, they work hard and play harder.

If you have a thick skin enough to realize that they aren't mad at you, they are mad at the computer then this could be a great opportunity.

Casper

There is room for all of gods creatures, "Right Beside the Mashed Potatoes".

Hi paultaylor04.
I work in London, but for what it's worth here are my experiences...
I work in IT Support in the Legal rather than Financial sector. If you want to see if you'd suit the Financial environment then I would suggest that you try Legal first.
Legal firms are bad, but not nearly as bad as Financial(although the big corporate law firms can get pretty close).
The money is good in Legal but not quite as good as Financial (30% more than the average, rather than up to 50%).
If this is all also true in the US then I hope this helps.

All your opinions have been very valuable. My final decision has been one to stay away from a financial sector job (and even legal) for the time being. I've been too accustomed to working in a friendly environment and I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle the stresses that come with the new job. The money's good but sometimes you just have to look the other way.

Thanks again and Happy holidays

I don't know anything about the floor but I do Know this. Don't look back at your life someday thinking about the chances you did'nt take. It's a lot easier to try it and fail than to not try at all! good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back