Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tractor Fed Continous Label gets a page break feed; how do I stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pampas58

Technical User
May 27, 2004
US
Once again I begin what seems like a simple project and reality hits me with a two by four on the back of the head.

THE ISSUE:
Continuous form, custom product and serial number label for our products that feeds a Page Break at the end of the page in letter size page. I’ve used the Label Wizard and I defined the label as continuous, yet after 6 labels that print perfectly, I get a feed of 3.375 inches.

I’ve looked everywhere in Access and I cannot find a way to override this automatic feed.

THE SOFTWARE:
Access 2002 SP3

THE PRINTER:
Okidata Microline ML591

HOW WAS THE LABEL CREATED?
1) I used the NEW command, selected LABEL WIZ
2) Defined the label to the custom label our marketing department had printed
3) Set to SINGLE COLUMN, Continuous
4) Located the data fields where I needed them

If anyone has any ideas how I might be able to shut off the feed so it is really continuous tractor fed with no page break I’d appreciate your help.

Pampas…

p.s., if anyone wants to see the actual database send me an e-mail and I’ll send you the data.

In page setup|columns tab, are row spacing & column spacing set = 0?

"Business conventions are important because they demonstrate how many people a company can operate without."

that feeds a Page Break at the end of the page in letter size page

This implies a laser printer.

shut off the feed so it is really continuous tractor fed...

This implies an impact printer. Which is it?

Instead of the custom size, will any of the predefined sizes in the wizard work? Would your marketing people mind if you added some border space to their labels to get them to print correctly?

"Business conventions are important because they demonstrate how many people a company can operate without."

genoman, THANK YOU for the quick replay...

I just rechecked to make sure:
Column Spacing = 0 and is grayed out (only 1 column)
Row Spacing = 0

CORRECTION:
When I said Page Break, I meant the old "Perforation Skip spacing" and I looked in the printer itself and I find that Perferation Skip is set to NO.

It still reaches the mathematical bottom of the page, and moves 3.375 inches (I'm assuming top margin, plus whatever the perforation skip is)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / QUESTION
In the page set up form, the Top: has a min value of 0.622 for this printer. Is there anyway to override what that value is? The way I think of it, in a continuous fed lable roll, there is no top margin; so shouldn't that be able to set to zero (0)?

It matters if you are using an impact or laser printer.
I would guess that an impact printer would expect a continuous roll w/out skip. Laser printer would probably expect an upper/lower margin before advancing to the next sheet. Which are you using?

genomon,

Exactly why I am puzzled. The Okidata is dot matrix printer and should simply roll right through the perforations. However, it gives me a top margin inside of Access and it's driving me crazy (well, for me it's just a short walk) that I cannot figure out how to override it.

I was on the phone with Okidata and they gave me a way out, where I can crate a new page style, so I created a form 150 feet long. Well, it turns out that Access has a 22.75 inches max length. So, that lets me do 15 lalbes at a time; which is better than the 6, but it's still not right.

I should be able to take control of the printing from Access and override the top and bottom margins since this is a tractor feed contenuous form.

Any help, from anyone on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Pamapas

Go into print preview and see if it will let you change the margins to zero.

Another thought on the subject:
Can you finesse your markenting guru to just give you specs, and redesign these little beauties from the grouund up in Access, possibly choosing your own stock as well?
We are, after all, developers!

Folks, THANK YOU FOR TOSSING ME A LINE HERE:

Answers:

genomon; I do go into the preview and change the margins to zero (0) and then it just repopulates with whatever the minimums. Grrr!!! but it is what it is, an that's what I want to change.

dhookom; yes, I defined the page size to the label size and I get the 3.375 inch feed after each individual lable instead of only after each full page (or 11 inches).

genomon; The thought occured to me (and other unprintable thoughts) but the fact is, that we produce several hundred units a day, with several lines running and they don't want to feel 8-1/2 x 11 sheets when we set up a 5000 label roll and just let it go.

All good questions and suggestions. I'm hoping that someone will see this and get me headed in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back