Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking user connections 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdnaf

MIS
Feb 23, 2001
GB
We are running a network in a High School with approx 1300 users. We need a program which can tell us who is logged onto a workstation on our NT Domain. We would like a program that can keep track of what a user is doing, but like Novell, have the ability to administrate connection access.

Well, I can think of two things you can do or try. If you need the ability to find out who is logged onto a workstation right now, there is a product called Hyena that is fairly priced for all it does. I can click on a workstation and choose "Logged on as" and it will give me info as to the user logged in. I haven't found anything yet that can keep a list, but Hyena can do a whole lot more. The best part about Hyena...you can download a working eval and use it right away for 30 or 60 days. You can find it here:

For keeping track of what users are doing, well, the only thing I've used is AppsTraka which I think will do more than you even want it to. Actually, it's probably exactly what you want in a school setting because you can see exactly what the screen was displaying at pre-defined intervals if you want to go that far. It's shareware and is on ly $30, and you can try it out too.

Sorry for the 3rd party tools answers, but NT lacks a little in these areas so you have to look else where. If I were you, I'd just download these tools and try them out because they are really great!

Have fun,
MaestroG B-)

Thanks MaestroG we are evaluating Hyena at the moment

If you need to see who's logged on
from the command prompt

nbtstat -a(A) IP(hostname)

nbtstat /? for more options

Well, NBTSTAT won't do exactly what he needs, but it at least shows who's connected to network shares if you use the -n option.

nbtstat -A 192.168.104.5 -n
or
nbtstat -a servername -n

Good reminder though...

Terminal Services will allow you not only to see who is logged in, via a GUI tool, but also what processes they are running.

If your budget can stretch it, Citrix Metaframe allows you to shadow your users, so you can see exactly what they are up to!

It also gives you the ability to manage connections, publish applications, lock down what users can and can't do...at a price :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back