Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking Server changes... what do all you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I want to start keeping track of all changes made to production servers. I thought about a spreadsheet or access db as cheap and easy solutions. Each has it own ups/downs. I am also trying to find some sort of cheap software package i can use to log and report changes, etc.

what are you all using?

Mark C.

I'm just using a xls spread sheet for now. I could imagine using a access DB to maintain all this info.

I use to use a XLS spreadsheet, then moved to ASP application using a SQL database. the problem I face is my developers add/delete/change things and do not update the tracking log.

i dont have much of a budget for this project... looks like i might need to do some Permission analysis and manage all changes on servers myself(which is how it should be).

Mark C.

The trend is towards ITIL's CMDB. Google either of these terms if you are not familiar with them. Size, complexity, number of changes, number of people making changes are some of the factors that I would use to determine how simple or complex I would make the process. If you can afford it, I would recommend automated techniques to keep track of changes.

For low volatility/impact scenarios, a spreadsheet will do just fine.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I've got more research to do.

Mark C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back