Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking incoming/outgoing emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinaPhx

MIS
Jul 21, 2002
US
It's been a while but in Exchange 5.5 it was pretty easy to have a copy of all incoming / outgoing emails -- I think it was by maximum logging.

How do you do this in Exchange 2000? I need to keep a copy of all incoming/outgoing messages for a certain period time.

Thanks,

Right-Click on your mailbox store.
Select Properties
Tick Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Thank you for your reply.

I can't find "Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store."

Drilling down to first storage group, mailbox store, right click properties, I have 7 tabs. None have archive.

I must be missing something or am in the wrong area...

dear gin,
expand your servers, then first storage groups, right click on mailbox staorge- choose properties. there you can find archeive all messages sent or recive.....
hope this helps
periyur

just to clarify ... it's a Tick Box on the General tab.

Here you go:

Yes that is possible, but BEFORE you would do that, are ALL your users aware of this? The fact that you will be catching all their emails, and have the means to read it, is a breach of privacy, and illegal!
Make sure everyone is very aware of this, or you could find yourself in deep deep trouble!

Here are the steps, but be warned!
- Open System Manager
- Open Administrative Groups
- Open your Server
- Open First Storage Group
- Goto Mailbox Store, right-click it for Properties.

In General, you can set the Account that will receive ALL traffic, in and out. This is in the Field "Archive all messages sent or received..."

Again, remember it is ILLEGAL unless the users are aware and agree, even if it comes from the boss!
If you are forced to do it, get it in writing to cover yourself, just in case, or YOU can end up being charged!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks for the information.

It was grayed out because of a server policy set on the Exchange server. The policy was under the "System Policies" heading. Right-click on the server policy and select the "Properties" option. Was able to configure the archiving from there.

What sort of impact will this have on performance, if any? and does it just forward all mail to a specified accout that you then have to manage?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

No special impact at all.
It does not forward it, it copies it to that mailbox.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back