Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking Down Undeliverable Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldfuzion

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
US
I recently upgraded to Exchange 2003, and all is going well. All my incoming mail comes into an Xwall server which then hands it off to my Exchange server. Internal email goes straight out through the Exchange Server. This all is working great.
My question is on Undeliverable reports I am getting from my exchage server when one of my users sends an email out that doesnt make it to the intended reciepiant for whatever reason.
Here are a couple of common examples that i am getting:

To: Administrator
Subject: Undeliverable:Subject of Email

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: SUbject of Email
Sent: 6/16/2005 10:15 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Lastname, FirstName' on 6/16/2005 10:15 AM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<mail.domain.com #5.5.0 smtp;554 Content filter will not allow this message>

and:

To: Administrator
Subject: Undeliverable:Subject of Email
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Subject of Email
Sent: 6/15/2005 3:39 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'name@domain.com'' on 6/15/2005 3:39 PM
The format of the e-mail address is incorrect. Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
<mail.domain.com #5.1.3>

These are just a couple of examples, but they all are more or less along these lines. Now in most cases i can see why they did not make it out, but is there any way to tell which of my users sent it so i can let them know?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back