Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracing IP address( duplicate IPs) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp110

MIS
Apr 19, 2004
US
Do you guys know of any software out there that can trace an IP address on a network and tell me the computer name, not just the mac address of the pc?

Are these Windows O/S? Can you just run nbtstat -A {ip_address}?

D'oh, forgot about nbtstat. Nslookup uses DNS names, nbtstat uses netbios names.

We can but I was told we can not run nbstat here.

Can you elaborate on why you can't run nbtstat? If it's because the machines don't use Netbios names, then LawnBoy's suggestion would be best.

well from what I have been told, due security issue nbtstat function has been disabled.

Thanks Lawnboy, nslookup definitely helped out except I still can't get the computer name, because the computer is a laptop. With nslookup I am able to get pc names of desktops but not laptops.

Are you running a WINS server? You can cross-reference the IP to the netbios name from WINS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back