Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracing a server to a switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2001
US
I have a network with multiple switches and servers. The cables are ran through a pipe and there is no documentation in place so I can't tell which switch each individual server is plugged in to. Is there a trace command that will tell me which switch a given server is wired into?

Thanks for any help.

If your switch is managed, you should be able to look for the MAC address of the server in the switches management console to figure out what port it's on.

The other alternative is to get a ping-box and a detector. Plug the ping box into one end of the cable and use the detector wand to find the cable that belongs to that server in your switch room.

The ping box puts a tone on the wire that you can pick up with the detector wand.

Good luck.

If you know the IP addresses of your switches, a tracert/pathping from your machine to your server should be able to point you to witch switch the servers are connected to.

Also there are many networking diagramming tools that will perform a discovery of your network devices and draw out a map of your device environment (although this should be done after hours since it generates a lot of traffic)

As has been said, if the switch is managed you can find the MAC address on the switch that corresponds to the servers.

Failing that, after hours, unplug one cable at the switch, see which server goes offline, mark that cable, move on to the next. No need for a pingbox (? - tone generator?) or any other fancy tools.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

The pinger and wand aren't fancy tools. You can pick up a cheap set at almost any electronics supply house (such as Altex) for $30-$50. It's basically a necessary tool especially if you also deal with telecom, and aging infrastructure. It has saved us both time and money tracking down problems of many types.

For me though, checking the managed switch is the first thing I would do. It's the quickest way to find what port a particular server is using.

It doesn't cost anything to unplug the cable though. ;-)

Davetoo, depending upon the applications running on the servers, it very well could cost the business quite a few dollars......

<sigh> Thus you do it on off hours when it's not going to effect the business, as I already stated quite clearly.

Go nitpick someone else.

Not nitpicking, but for an "e-business", when is off hours?

I'm sorry, where does the OP indicate he's an e-business? You're right, he didn't.

Go bother someone else. Unless he has a managed switch, he has no option but to unplug the cable and find out that way which server is connected to which switch. Unless you can somehow devine it through a pipe? Yeah, me neither.

joseph - unplug it when you can, and see which server goes offline.

pathping and tracert won't tell you what port, nor what switch a signal goes through, as they are not "hops" (routers or firewalls). Managed switches will tell you the MAC address, as mentioned above.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Davetoo, there are plenty of solutions to this, but in order to do so, it will cost money. No, the OP doesn't state that it is an ebusiness, but it also doesn't state he is not. To recommend he unplug is not a "perfect" solution. Cheapest, yes, best, no.

Beyond having a managed switch, and obtaining the MAC addresses, a wiretap/vampire tap can be another solution. Unfortunatley, this can cause issues with cabling.

Knowing what MAC the switch is could help with a network sniffer such as Ethereal (free software), and running sniffs for a while.

You really need to move on. Only the OP can determine if he's able to unplug a cable or not. You can keep talking to yourself on this thread.

Seems to me like you need to move on. Besides the statement "unplug the cable", you haven't given out any worthwhile solutions. Given the OP's limited infrastructure setup explanation, neither you or I, or anyone on the thread can give a best case solution.

Come on guys. We are here to help each other. If you think someone is bothering, just ignore and move on.

Switch Inspector is a piece of software which can help, I used it couple of years back. I am not sure if it works on unmanaged-switch.

cheers...

Switch Inspector relies upon the managed switch information to provide it's data.

His best option is to pick the proper maintenance window, as I've already said, and unplug the servers (and plug them back into a managed switch).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back