Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trace creditcard transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake142

Technical User
Jun 22, 2011
SE
Hi,

I had a discussion with a friend regarding tracing a credit card transaction. He claims that the banks receive an ID (Retrieval Reference Number or similare) that you can use to trace a transaktion in the POS System. Does anyone know if this is true?

The reason I ask is that I recentley had a transaction done on my card that I cant remember paying for. It was just a small amount so I dont want to make fuzz about it (and I probably did make the purchase even though I cant remember it). But still, is my friend correct. Can you trace a transaction all the way from the internetbank to the POS (using the ID he is talking about)?

Thanks in advance!

You had a discussion with a friend, eh? And you just joined the forum on the same day and this is the first question you're asking?

Sorry if I come off as a douche, but seriously--there are a lot of professionals on this forum who can hurt their reputations, as well as cause problems for their clients (i.e. restaurant operators) by giving people information that they might use for bad things.

What POS system are you working on? Or are you a restaurant owner looking to buy a POS system? Or did you just use somebody's credit card without their permission and want us to tell you if you're going to get in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back