Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trace an Outside Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

atspell

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2006
US
We have gotten several bomb threat calls to the office which comes into the receptionists set(M2250). Is it possible to setup some sort of call trace or caller id that will give a number or any call details?

If your trunks route data blocks are setup for incoming call detail recording and the caller is displaying a clid it will be easy to trace it, also if the recepcionist keeps track of the time the calls are arrriving- that could be furnished to the police and they could go back to your did service provider and task it to search for the source of the call and stablish a pattern.

you can add a Malicious Call Trace key to the console that will trace the call to the trunk and give you the caller id if they are stupid enough to send it... att presses the key and the send/rec information is printed to the screen,, you can add a trac key to any phone.. in the cdb you need to allow trac to a trunk, otherwise it's internal trace by default

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

threats of that nature should always be taken serious and the police should be called immediately. As a CO tech at Focal I had to track down many malicious calls. Our procedure was pretty simple and ethical. If we received a call whether it was from the customer, police, or the customer called the salesman we immediately searched our CDRs(billing records). We would not provide the information directly to the customer but would wait for a subpoena. For obvious and not so obvious reasons I could not give the info directly to the customer. If it is happening often and will happen again...call the police and talk to a detective, call your telco sales person and inform them.
Grease the wheels now. That way when it happens you may be able to call directly to a person at the phone company to get the ball rolling. If we were able to find the call but not all the calling information was there we could call the phone company that sent us the call to get the ball rolling there. There is pretty much always a way to find out who is calling someone. It just takes a little bit of time.

that also means that anyone in the industry that provides that information to an end user needs a subpoena to turn it over to an end user.. i did a trace at a court house for a bomb threat, with the sherrif in the room, i would not release teh number until someone brought the subpoena from upstairs... and i was in the building where the bomb was supposed to be.. of course it was an idiot trying to get out of a traffic ticket... seems the fbi had a few questions for him, and yes he did do time for that..

i don't think this is a problem for an in-house tech, the user transmits the information to you.. but if you get no number, then FDM816 needs the paperwork...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Hi if you are using EURO ISDN you can refer to the NTPs feature description MCID (Malicious Call Identification).

But that feat has to be enabled at the CO as well. With a kay push at the console it will print a ticket on your tty and in parralel in the CO the number gets printet even if it is supressed.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back