Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TR0118 Transformer can't read the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drepso

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
AU
Appreciate any help in advance.

Powerplay Transformer: 7.3

Issue: I have received a new laptop and have installed the client software and can open models successfully, however I can't build any cubes.

I receive the following error message:

(TR0118) Transformer can't read the database [] defined in ... iqd

Details = DMS-E-YV_SGINOLIB. Unable to locate the gateway 'msdba.DLL'

I have amended the cognos.ini file to include the database connection information that was on my original laptop but this doesn't work. Is there anything else I need to do?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried copying across the .dll specified?
Should be in the path (Install)\Cognos\CommonLogon\bin, where (Install) is usually "C:\Program Files"

soi la, soi carré
ymca.gif

Hi drlex, thanks for your reply.

This file was already present on the machine where I did the install in the location you specified.

I copied across the file from my old laptop to test and I still get the same error message.

Both of this files are identical, same date modified and file versions.

I installed Impromptu V7.3 on the same machine to check to see if the .imr run properly and I get the same error message. So neither Transformer of Impromptu work from this machine.

Unable to locate the gateway 'msdba.DLL'

Can't find much on the knowledge base to help. I am at a loss how to resolve this.

O.K. - Sounds like you haven't configured the Data Sources on your new machine to match those on your old. Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Data Sources (ODBC). You might need to install or update the SQL server driver - check for SQLSRV32.DLL.

soi la, soi carré
ymca.gif

Thanks drlex

I checked and both machines have the same version of SQLSRV32.DLL driver.

I take it you have set up the System DSN connection in your ODBC Data Sources?

I was unsure about this as there are only 2 system data sources set up on the old machine with a SQL Server driver. None of these are specific to Cognos or access the servers needed for cube builds.

The rest are Microsoft Access Drivers.

Drepso,
The error you are getting is due to Impromptu (or Transformer) trying to connect natively to SQL Server. You either need SQL server client software or to set up an ODBC connection (as navshiv points out - System DSN connection). The latter is the more typical.
You say you can't find much on the knowledge base; I would have thought that document 105654.3 is on point for you and your situation.

soi la, soi carré
ymca.gif

Thanks for persisting drlex & navshiv, appreciate your efforts.

SQL Server Management Studio is installed.The database was originally setup in Impromptu 7.0 as 'Microsoft SQL Server 6.5(DB-LIB)'

We no longer use Impromptu as we have Framework Manager now, however when researching transformer error of TR0118 on knowledge base they suggested recreating the iqd files through impromptu. This is the only reason I installed Impromptu again and noticed the same error message with both applications.
Do I need to configure anything in the SQL Server client?
Thanks again for your help

Drepso,
I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out on this one, as I use ODBC to connect to SQL server and thus have no experience on SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). It would seem logical to assume that you need to configure SSMS on your new laptop to match the configuration on the old machine. An alternative might be defining an identically-titled database using an ODBC connection in System DSN so as to allow the existing catalogs and queries to run against SQL Server.
Sorry I can't help more,
lex

soi la, soi carré
ymca.gif

Take a look at line 3 of the IQD that is used in Transformer. This will give you the name of the database that it is trying to connect to. Check that this matches the database name in the signon box in Transformer. Or try creating this system dsn in ODBC Admin using the name on line 3 of the iqd. Or open the catalog in Impromptu and try either running the imr equivalent of the iqd or just retrieve any data from the database. This may help troubleshoot your connection problems.

These are possible steps to take:
- Check if you have made a correct connection to the database (e.g. check your ODBC profiles)

- Check the Cognos.INI file in the cognos installation directory. There you zill also need to give in the correct connection, e.g.:

GCD=^User ID:^?Password:;LOCAL;OD;DSN=GCD;UID=%s;PWD=%s@ASYNC=0@0/0@COLSEQ=

It is from this INI file that Cognos needs to pick up the connection. If it cannot find the link to your database in this INI file, then you will get this message.

So please check these things first.

drlex, navshiv, jdaems
thanks for your advice and help.
I checked the cognos.ini file and iqd file and everything looks ok.

I noticed that a new cube recently designed with framework manager builds ok but all the historical cubes did not.

I could not get any of the imr's to run and I noticed that the database connection for the recently created cube had a connection already established in the database definition manager in impromptu under Microsoft SQL Server OLE-DB even though it wasn't used in the design process.

I created an OLE-DB connection for all the datasources that the cubes used in Impromptu and tested and now all the cubes are building which is good news.

We haven't used Impromptu since we migrated to Cognos 8 but I guess this means unless the iqd's are recreated in framework manager, impromptu may need to be used in the future and configured if transformer is installed and to be used on any other machines.

I appreciate all your help, I didn't think this was going to get resolved. Thanks again. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back