Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TP Link Archer C5 AC1200 Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeal4122

Technical User
Dec 19, 2014
US
Hello,
I upgraded my internet yesterday to 200mbps. I did a speed test after I installed the new modem and got 68mbps on my wireless desktop which is in the same room as my modem and router.
I hooked my desktop directly to the modem and got 213mbps so I know it's not a modem issue.
I tried to look up if my router can handle my new speed, but didn't understand what I'm reading.
Do I need a new router or is there anything I can do to change the configuration?
I can get into the website of the router so that's not an issue.
Thanks.

Distance or obstacles (walls) don't sound like the cause and neither is the wired speed (therefore internet connection speed) because you got 213 wired.

The router should support much faster speeds for wifi than you are getting

What is the model of the wireless adapter in your desktop? That could be the problem.
Do you have a laptop that you can compare wireless speed with

If you're not on 5GHz for wifi, you could have interference from neighbors on the 2.4GHz band which would slow you down.
Do you have a lot close neighbors - small lots if you're in a house or especially if you're in an apartment.

Thank you for your reply.

I finally did hear from my router support and they said to try changing the cable from the modem to the router. Amazingly, this worked. Both of our phones are testing into the 200s, but my desktop is still testing at just under 100.

The model of my wireless adapter is a Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ). Is there anything I can do to get my desktop to have the higher speed also?

You can upgrade to a dual band wifi card. I use these all the time in desktops. The one you have right now is a mini-PCI-e card, meaning that it doesn't use a PCI-e slot and it's more like the wifi card in a laptop.
Link

If you upgrade, you will want to disable the card in the BIOS, device manager OR remove it from the motherboard (best option). You want to know that your new card is the only card functioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back