Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tought time with 9608 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickKeifer

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2012
US
Guys,

Having a tough time getting these 9608 phones to work with my ipo 500v2 v 8.1
I hardcode all addresses so dhcp is never an issue. i am putting in the exact same settings that i do for the 9650's which work perfectly.
everything works great in the setup process (going through craft then putting in the ip addresses, etc.).
Once i put in the extension then enter (works)
Then i put in a blank password then enter the whole think locks up.

I have 6 of these and tried it on every one so i know it isnt a specific phone issue.

What am i doing wrong? Like i said the 9650 which have an identical interface work like a charm.

RK

One correction. ip office is a 500 not 500v2. is that the issue? are they not compatible with my 500?

What do you mean when you say you "put in" a blank password. When it asks for a password do you just hit OK?

Did you build extensions in Manager? Or is it set to auto create?

yes i just hit ok (enter)
the system is set for autocreate and it does work with teh 9650's

Maybe stupid question but have the 9620 H.323 software loaded or do they have the SIP software loaded?
Use monitor to see what is going on. If you don't know what to look for then call a reseller who does.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

Use caution with "Auto Create Extension". VERY early on (release 1.2 or so), I had a customer where we had that enabled. Customer inadvertently made their extension number "9". And then no other users could make an outside call. Ever since then, we've disabled the function.

Also....as the phone was initially coming up, was it loading firmware alright. Was it seeing the IPO? I would assume so if it asked you for an extension.

Yes everything went through as expected. like i said from the same physical cable (attached to a poe switch at my desk) i can configure a 9650 with the exact same settings (other than the extension).

For the other reply raised my eyebrow. not sure what you mean by h323 or sip mode. Can you elaborate because that can easily be the isuse. i am a reseller. these are right out of the box if that helps at all.

Rick,

9608 will work fine with 500 & 500v2 on R7(32)+ with latest firmware for IP office. Make sure Manager is pointed to latest Bin files, and Phone is set to H323, not SIP, nor Auto.

For 8.1 make sure Phone has this firmware:
9608 & 9611 & 9621 & 9641 Kernel S96x1_UKR_V13r47_V13r47
9608 & 9611 Application S9608_11HALBR6_2_1_19U_V4

Andre

The 96xx range of phones are at first designed for AURA/CM, the enterprise system of AVAYA and then adopted to IP Office as the demand for high quality IP phones on IPO came from the market.
On CM the phones can operate with the H.323 or SIP protocol and I have had a number of 9620 phones which had by default the SIP software loaded.
Now if the phones don't upgrade at first connection to IP Office they react exactly as you described initially so that is why I asked.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

I think the phones did not upgrade yet.
Did you put in a http file server ip address?

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I have had exactly the same problem. Although you should be able to upgrade via the IP 500v2 SD card, apparantly this is not possible with 9600 series phones due to the size of the files, therefore you MUST upgrade using a PC with HTTP server software (IIS, or there is Avaya branded file server software on the Avaya support website somewhere). As soon as we upgraded the phones this way they worked fine.

Joe Newton
ACSS (SME), CCENT, CompTIA A+

You can upgrade them with the SD card but not a lot at the same time.
Try one and see if it works.

BAZINGA!

We were only installing one! We thought it could be a LAN issue, so we connected the phone to the LAN port on the back of the IP Office, and still did the same. We thought it must be a faulty phone, but when we contacted our supplier's tech support they told us it couldnt be done using the SD card, so we took it back to the office, connected it to our house system and it upgraded straight away.

Joe Newton

I did all our 9608 from the SD card so this sounds like a configuration error to me.
Are you sure you have set the tftp and http server IP addres to the Lan1 IP address?
Is the file server on memory card?

BAZINGA!

Yup that was all done. At first had the TFTP and HTTP server IP addresses set to default 0.0.0.0, but then I changed them to the LAN 1 address and rebooted, but no change. I said I even connected the phone direct to the LAN 1 port to rule out network issues, but no joy.

It could be a fault with the IP Office, or the phone, but like I said I was told by our supplier's tech support engineer that it doesnt work via the SD card because of the size of the files. It will be interesting to see if I get the same fault again, or if it is the same thing happening here.

Joe Newton

It does work but it is not supported.
But if you have to do more in the future then you better setup IIS on your laptop.

BAZINGA!

OK that was a lot of info. you guys are great and thanks again for helping me.

Here is the configuration:
My Voicemail Server is 172.20.1.135
My IP 500 (not v2) is running 8.1 and is 172.20.1.47
System Setting are as follows
TFTP Server Address: 172.20.1.135
HTTP Server Address: 172.20.1.135
Phone File Server Type: Manager
Manager PC IP Address: 172.20.1.135
Avaya HTTP Clients Only: checked
Enable Softphone HTTP Provisioning: checked
Automatic Backup: checked
File Writer IP Address: 172.20.1.135

Not sure exactly how to check the phone to see if it is running in SIP mode.
Again with the above configuration i can configure 9650 ip phones all day long but these 9608 just wont play.

RK

Your problem is that you have checked http clients only.
And also set it to the IP address of the IPO and set it to memory card.

BAZINGA!

But we dont want to use the memory card right. it is not a v2.
One of the other posts says that the files arent on the card. i notice that without an sd card i cant see whait is on the pcmcia card at all.
What does http clients to to mess this up?

Going to take the http clinets off and try again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back