Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tough question about keep running an app when logoff win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

morequester

Programmer
Jul 26, 2004
CA
Hi buddy,

Anyone knows how could an application keep running when logoff win98? It means this application never exits when user logoff, then logon.

Thanks in advance.

HUh!???

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

That's the most confusing post I've seen so far, can you give anymore information, morequester?

i think he means he wants to keep an app running even when the user pressed >start>log off user... (duh, i think am more confused than anyone else.) [hammer]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

I don't see what is so confusing about it. Makes perfect sense to me. Win98 does not have user authentication, so you would think it is possible but I don't know how :(

Here are some guesses:

DOS apps: I think anything run via autoexec.bat will continue to run in the background.

Win32 apps: I don't think it can be done. Everything in the startup section of the registry loads after the shell :/

You can set more than one shell but I think they unload when you logoff. Go to RUN > MSCONFIG and look for a line that reads SHELL=EXPLORER.EXE; (or similar)

I think you can change that to load a different shell, or multiple shells; i.e. SHELL=EXPLORER.EXE PROGMAN.EXE; -- I think this means it will be there for every user.

If you mess it up you can fix it from DOS using EDIT.

----------
Memoria mihi benigna erit qui eam perscribam

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me too.

morequester, as far as I am aware this is not possible using windows 9x.

It depends which APP

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Maybe I can explain it more detailedly.
This is a win32 app. On WinNT or up, it runs as a service. But on Win98, there is no service, so we have to do it as a normal app.
I know this is possible, because we have an app running like this, but we don't know how it does.

For stormbind,
Thanks for your advice. I tried SHELL=EXPLORER.EXE PROGMAN.EXE; and it works. That is great.
But there is something different. Above, I mentioned an app running like this (not my app), the process ID keeps the same one everytime when I logoff, then logon. But my app PID changed everytime.

Anyway it works. ^^

But on Win98, there is no service

not true

BTW Explorer.exe is an Win32 NT module

glad whatever works for you .....still woun't say which App/Service....OK

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back