Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

totals

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainrkemp14

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am currently having some trouble trying to total something.

I have 5 'text boxes' in a Project_Name Header. One of these text boxes is called 'Label39'.

In my report footer I want a text box that displays the sum off all the 'Label39' instances.

I have tried =Sum([Label39]) but when I try to run the report it prompts me for the 'Label39' paramter.

Is there any way I can display a sum of every instance of this text box in the report footer?

Cheers,

- Iain

It sounds like Label39 is a calculated value. If it is, then you have to do the entire calculation again in the footer.
For example, if the Control Source for Label39 is
=Txt1 + Txt2 + Txt3
Then your footer would have to be
=Sum(Txt1 + Txt2 + Txt3)

Paul

Thanks for responding! I have tried to do that but never seem to get the syntax quite right, perhaps you could help?

Label39 is a calculated value: =[Hourly Rate]*[Label48]
Label48 is a calculated value: =Sum([SumOfHours])

I tried the following without success:

=Sum([Hourly Rate]*[Sum(SumOfHours)])

And it prompts me for Sum(SumOfHorus)!

Any thoughts?

Well, it seems that you have already broken the rule and gotten away with it when you calculate Label39 but that may be because they are both in the Header. Try this
=Sum([HourlyRate]) * Sum([SumOfHours])

Paul

Try:
=Sum([Hourly Rate]*[SumOfHours])

Duane
MS Access MVP

Thanks,

I've tried this and doesn't quite work. The problem is the 'Hourly Rate' that is referred to varies slightly between records (some our 54, some 30, etc). In the Project_Name_Header it matches the related 'Hourly Rate' and 'SumOfHours' records. When I put 'Hourly Rate' in the report footer however it takes the last 'Hourly Rate Value' so the calucation is not an accurate sum.

What a pain in the $^&(!

- Iain

If you use
=Sum([Hourly Rate]*[SumOfHours])
the result will be the same as stepping through each record in your report and multiplying the [Hourly Rate] field times the [SumOfHours] field. The Hourly Rate will be applied on a record by record basis. The Sum of all these individual calculations will display in the text box.

If you use
=[Hourly Rate]*Sum([SumOfHours])
the SumOfHours will be summed and then multiplied times the final [Hourly Rate].

Duane
MS Access MVP

I ran a quick sample report with data similar to yours and
=Sum([HourlyRate] * [SumOfHours]) gave me a correct value. The assumption here is that SumOfHours is not calculated in the Report, but is a field calculated in the underlying query. If that's not correct, let us know.

Paul

You are correct. From an earlier posting, I assumed the SumOfHours was a field in the report's record source. If it wasn't, you might be forced to use a calculated text box in the detail section with a running sum. I hate when that happens.

Duane
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back