Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Totals on Fact(Ending) Metrics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf5370

Programmer
Nov 20, 2000
GB
Hi all,
This is the problem (7.2.2),
We collect Stock Daily and have aggrigates at both Week and Day (amongst others). Because we always want to see a snapshot of the stock, we use End Fact dimensionality.
Sum([STOCK]) {~, [All Time]}
With Dimesionality of Report Level Std Std
and All Time (the time hierarchy) at Std Ending(lookUp).
We use the hierarchy rather than attributes as they can run this report at any level in the Time Hierarchy.

We have a report something like this:
|Geography
-------------------------
Merchandise | Stock Metric

So an example may be - Run for the current week let's say:
Store 1
<Stock $>
Total 250
Dept 1 250

Now drill from Merchandise to Day:

Store 1
<Stock $>
Total 1,000
Total Mon 250
Dept 1 Mon 250
Total Tue 500
Dept 1 Tue 500
Total Wed 250
Dept 1 Wed 250

Understandably perhaps, MSTR is totalling these figures. The business still wants the snapshot to apply. That is to see the latest figure in the top line (and match the weekly report). OK, doesn't seem to make much sence on this 1 metric report, but put along side sales (col 2), then an accumulation makes sense on the total for this new column. Stock, as a serious of 'counts' only makes sense to see as a snapshot.

Currently we have to remove the total for stock fields even though they would still be usefull for breakdowns of the Merchandise hierarchy.

Sorry for the long post.
Any suggestions?

There's a setting that controls the behavior of dynamic aggs and subtotaling. You can do simple totals (the behavior you're describing) and dimensionality-aware totals (the behavior you want). If the setting is correctly set to the latter, it should work.

That sounds just like what I want - do you happen to know where the setting is? Is it available in 7i (7.2.4) or only in 7.5 (not moving there for many moons yet).

Thanks for your help - hope shines once more.

PS: Don't worry if you don't know exactly what the setting is - I can query Support if I have to.

Ts,

Wolf

I don't know where the setting is. I no longer work with the product. I know it is in 7.2.2, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back