Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

totalrecall study guide any good 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mshen

Technical User
May 29, 2001
AU
hello there,

I am about to start mcsa2003 evening class next week.
apart from the materials the school provides us, I also would like some other test books.
I have read some posts here, tanscenders is considered to be good.
has anyone ever use TotalRecall books?

cheers,

mike

The MCSA 2003? not the MCSE 2003? I used what ever was out there like exam cram, the red books. sybex, syngress..etc..

Hi all. I ahve a question.
iam A+ and Network + certified. I do not have any hands on
except I dont have hands on. My current job is not in the IT filed yet. I want to get the MCSA and then the MCSE. I can do it without hands on. Its hard its different,but what I was wondering is at some point am I going to be stopped from taking certain exams because im not working in this filed yet. Is hands on a requirement.
Thankyou
italiana

Hi all. I have a question.
iam A+ and Network + certified. I do not have any hands on
except I dont have hands on. My current job is not in the IT filed yet. I want to get the MCSA and then the MCSE. I can do it without hands on. Its hard its different,but what I was wondering is at some point am I going to be stopped from taking certain exams because im not working in this field yet. Is hands on a requirement.
Thankyou
italiana

ask yourself why are you doing A+ & N+ at the beginning where you already know u're not work'in in the field? are you look'in for a career change? if so yeah keep digging the books and get educated...do you have a lab at home? set up a lab at home and there goes your hands on.....employer look'in for entry level will not care about your past experience....they care about your personality, learning capability, and problem solving skills....so gear up and good luck

Thankyou
Yes Iam looking for a career change. Thats why I started
these courses. Setting up a lab at home to learn on is a great idea. Why didnt I think of that duh.Thanks.

A+
Network +
Dance to the music of your heart !!!

yo,
my personal view, hands-on or not, it doesn't matter.
if you like to learn computers/networks, and have money to spend, go for IT.
there are stories that non-experienced fresh MCSA/MESEs got good job offer.
I have to attend a course because I can't concentrate. whenever I am home after work, I play games like quake..c&c:general:zh. I have planned for ages to do mcse self-study. over years, I gathered gigs of study docs on my hard disk. its bit sad. but Im not alone at the training camp. I need to learn/cram in a systematic way.
blush, no mcse at this stage, mcsa first, then mcse.

cheers

mshen,

If you want success in IT, you'll need to work on improving your concentration...

After working 40-60 hours at your job, many employers expect you to self study to "keep your skills current" (for example, I have MCSE in NT 4.0 gained by classwork when training budgets were high... My MCSE in 2000 gained by self-study when they paid for books, transcenders, tests... now they just pay for tests but they expect me to obtain MCSE in 2003...)

YMMV--and don't be disheartened--but training budgets are very dependent on the company you work for's EBITDA, the economy in general, and the supply of certified candidates...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Hey MCSE 2003

I found a bit of a conundrum. In an earlier post you said the ExamForce stuff was "Crap".

In a more recent post, and I quote, you said...
MCSE2003 (TechnicalUser) Jul 6, 2004
The MCSA 2003? not the MCSE 2003? I used what ever was out there like exam cram, the red books. sybex, syngress..etc..

I've passed my 270 and 292 using their Crammaster stuff, and was pretty happy with it. What sold me on it was the Exam Cram books inside as .pdfs.

I've seen some crap, but this wasn't on that list, at least in my opinion.
JMHO

Italiana, you need hands on...real hands on. You can't "book" your way through to a good IT job. And there is no such thing anymore as someone with no experience getting a nice salary out of the gate. You might get a Help-Desk job or something.

The best thing to do is call around to companies and ask if they are tossing their old machines. I got ten right away doing this, mostly old crap, old Pentiums and stuff, but enough to set up a four node network and begin playing with administering (then 98) and NT. NICS and such are cheap, and you can usually get server sw free for use (six months currently for Server 2003) which by the way I got the CD from Exam Force.

Work while you study. There is nothing better than setting up mock users with different permissions to give you a feel for how it works. Wanna have more fun? Do something stupid on purpose as a user (believe me they will do it for you) and then figure out how to fix it...it comes with the territory.

MCSEmaniac Thankyou much for the advice.
Im going to do that.

A+
Network +
Dance to the music of your heart !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back