Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

totally whack out logon problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

unit512

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
US
Hi all . . . I have a weird problem.

Server is NT 4.0 with SP6.
Two 10/100 hubs daisy chained together.
20 work stations.
5 work stations have shared drives.

MOST people can log into the network.
Some cannot log in at all.
From the same work station some can log in under a different name.
If we reboot the server everyone can usually (but not always) log in.
People who cannot log in now...can log in at other times.
People who cannot log in can see the peer to peer PCs and can see the Server Domain.

We are running RRAS and PPTP along with TCP/IP and Netbios.
We had two nics in the server. We removed one.
We have switched out hubs and run from a single hub.
The problems remain the same.

Can anyone help?
G. Abelson

It sounds like a licensing issue. Check to see how many licenses you have set in license manager. Once you reach the limit no one except admins can connect.

Thanks...
But...Larry cannot logon from HIS PC...but can log on from someone else's PC.

I did find one thing. If I replace the NIC or remove and reinsert the NIC in software and the PC, that seems to fix the problem...at least temporarily.

What error message do you get, is it there is no domain controller available or that the user name or password is invalid?

Abelson,

I had a similar problem - on a large corporate network, with remote PDC/local BDC setup. The only cure I found (provided, that "Larry" CAN log on from another WS) was to remove (rename) local user's directory (under Profiles).

Also, check timing/WS login restrictions, network statistics, (lost and/or bad packets, etc.)

Why would run PPTP on the LAN? It might confuse the WS's, which protocol to use - can cause the whole range of bizzare problems. Leave RRAS and PPTP only on server and shares, if necessary.

BTW, the WS can accept 10 logons max - that might explain the intermittent character of your logons; that is, if your shares are in the script, and number of logons exceeds 10, the next user might get kicked off.

Just a speculation, to get you started... :)

Replies:
Paul - That IS the error message.

PPTP is on the LAN because there are no other PCs to use. I am open to being educated, however.

I gather you feel the problems are WS related, not Server related?

This is helping.

Glenn

Correction... PPTP IS only on the Server. Sorry if I confused you.

It may be that there is more than one issue here. Some things to try, just to get them out of the way.

Check users have not been locked out in User Manager, this happens after a set number of failed logons

Make sure DHCP is working if you are using it, and the pool is valid and big enough. If you aren't check the WS IP settings are valid. Being able to see the P2P network just means that you have the same workgroup entered on each WS.

Check the valid user logon hours in User Manager.

Check back here for other suggestions;-)

All that had been done.
If you get any more thoughts, though, please let me know.

Glenn

Abelson:

OK... let's start form the beginning: it could be both administrative and networking issues.

Admin staff had been pretty much covered (time/WS restrictions, multiple logons for the same user, etc.)

I would suggest, first, to make sure, that there is no other protocols but TCP/IP on the WS's.

If this is so, try to disconnect/reconnect the PC to domain. If it works, try to log onto domain (from the same PC) as every single user on the net (if you know their passwords, that is); note which ones cannot, or having problems. Try to do the same on a couple of other WS's (most troublesome, I presume); after it's done, you might be able to deduce a pattern. If only certain users having problems with logons, try to recreate their accnts on the domain (saving the respective directories first).

Hope it helps to direct you somewhere (not necessarily to resolve the problem...:))

Good methodology from mikes999! It's what I would suggest, honest :cool:

I hope to hear if you have had any success Abelson?

If your only operating a local NT network, you don't need PPTP or RRAS. All you really need is TCP/IP and the other basic server components, and I'd recommend using DHCP if you don't. Then all you need on your workstations is TCP/IP as a network protocol.

RRAS and PPTP would be primarily used for VPN, whether internal or external. Which you don't need unless you need to setup some serious interal security to protect user groups from one another. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager
"When I go, I want to go in my sleep like Grandpa. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Hey all,

Everything is working fine.
It was a little of this and a little of that.

Thanks,
Glenn

Same here - congratulations, it wasn't an easy one.

paulwood - Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back