Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Totally new to me, please help! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billfan

Technical User
Jan 3, 2005
US
Ok, I'm completely new to Crystal Reports and am a bit overwhelmed at this point. I have to use it for my new job, which is in healthcare...I need to use it to pull reports on our different medical office stats, quantity of certain patient visit types, quantity of certain lab tests done, how many patients are seen from a certain age bracket, demographics, etc. but I only really have Excel experience at this point, proficient at Windows, know some limited VBA that I've used for Excel, but thats about it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could go, either online, or a good book tutorial, to learn this software better, either free, or anything under even $100? I'm a bit frazzled and need some fast, clear cut help without spending $1000 for a training session that we can't afford and I'm afraid wouldn't help me with the specifics of our organization anyway. Thanks to anyone who has suggestions.

Hi,

Pick up George Peck's book Crystal Reports The Complete Reference. The book is version specific and I'm sure you can get it for well under a $100.00. The book(s)helped me alot.

Also, just hang out here, you'll pick up tons!! I have.

Nuffsaid.

You can get some way by just using the Report Expert, which does everything for you. I'd recoment writing some trial reports for simple functions. The strength of Crystal is that you can create a basic report very quickly.

Note that Crystal is a reporting tool which allows you to produce neat-looking reports very quickly. Also neat-looking graphs, and also 'Crosstabs'. It isn't a full programming language, though it does include a lot of options that you can control in a subtle way.

Since you already know Excel, you might find it easier to export data from Crystal. Use the Export icon, the envelope with the downward red arrow. Word, PDF etc. are also available.

It helps to give your Crystal version, since newer versions have extra options, and some extra problems. I use Crystal 8.5.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Sorry, I'm using (or trying to use) Crystal 9.0. Thanks!

Just try using it. Do trial reports that needn't have a specific purpose, except to get you used to the langyuage. It is quite well designed to be picked up as you go along. When you need to do something extra, do a Search here or else ask.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back