Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

total screen size reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

junedonofrio

Technical User
Dec 31, 2003
US
i am not sure if i am in the right forum ? all of the sudden my total screen size has been reduced, i have about a 1 inch black space on right & about 1/2 inch on other sides, i am not able to grab the arrow at the sides to drag out the size, as the black space seems to be blocking it just the slightest bit. also as i was tring to adjust this my bottom tool bar (one with the start button etc..) got shifed to the right vertical location & i cant get that back to the bottom position. i have restarted my computer numerous times, but still the same way. any help will be appreciated
thanks,
June

Is this a monitor issue or a Windows issue?

If you hook up the monitor to another computer and it also displays the same problem, then you likely have a failing monitor.

By the way, you cannot resize the main Windows screen as if it were an adjustable windows on the desktop. The main desktop resolution is set in the desktop's display properties. The desktop's display size is usually adjusted on the monitor itself by adjusting the vertical and horizonal settings.

As for your "bottom tool bar", you should be able to drag it back to the bottom. I know Windows Millennium allows that. If not, then perhaps Windows 98 will let you right-click on the bar, and change one of the properties settings to place it back on the bottom.

Start bar - Grab it with the mouse and drag it back to where you want it.
Screen size -
1. Adjust your monitor using the controls on it.
2. Adjust your resolution in Windows (monitor scan rate).
A higher scan rate means a smaller image, try 60mhz.
3. Both.

thanks everyone for your help, i am going to try a different monitor, i have tried adjusting with the buttons on the monitor, can adjust the height, but when i tried to adjust the width, it made it even smaller & cant get it to increase any more at all. i guess it is the monitor. thanks so much for your help!
June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back