Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total newb (image link question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flex4life

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
CA
Ok I'm a total newb to this program I just got it an hour ago. My client sent me a file she designed in ADobe Indesign and when I convert the source file to PDF, it turns out to be a monstrous 9MB (Keep in mind the file is only 8 pages long).

On each page she has same huge backdrop image of the product and I looked on the links and I noticed she has 8 LINKS to the psd image. Isn't there a way to import the image once and use it 8 times instead having 8 instances in the LINKS box? I think this is unnessesary. I've drawn a sqaure around what I think maybe the problem here:

Can anyone please help me out?

Happy New Year!

She has the image embedded rather than linked to the file. Go to Window>Links and in the Image Link toolbar, select each image, and click the little trangle to the upper right of the box to expand the menu, slect Unembed image... when it asks, say you want to link the image... do that for every image.

When you save the file, "save as". This will reduce file size. One caveat, since you were sent a single file with all images embedded, I don't know how ID handles the links after you unembed them... so make sure you save a back-up of the file.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Even if this one image is linked, it will appear several times in the Links palette. The links palette displays each instance of a graphic. If you are annoyed with this practice, you can place the PSD graphic on a master page so it repeats on each page: this will result in one instance on your links palette - - but it may not affect your PDF file size.

Whether you link or embed an image in InDesign should not affect the PDF output. The image, whether linked or embedded, is passed on to the PDF. However, embedding images in a page layout application is foolhardy.

Can you describe why a 9Mb PDF file is too big? It is reasonable for some 1-page documents to be that large if they are intended for press. If you are concerned about distributing this PDF online, try reducing the resolution of the PDF output. You might also redesign the publication so that a huge full color bitmap is not used on every page.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

jimoblak has a good point, 9 M is not a huge file, with or without graphics. I regularly have files that run well over 100M for a 32 page brochure.

Thank you everyone, I will try your tips.

I think 9 MB is huge for a PDF that is to be downloaded from the internet but this is just my opinion.

"I think 9 MB is huge for a PDF that is to be downloaded from the internet but this is just my opinion."

You need to create a PDF that is only for screen view, then. You are apparently creating a PDF for Press, which will be a larger file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back