Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total Frustration with Win2000 network security

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotaru

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
US
I'm no genius network admin but I'm no idiot! Why can't I access a workstation (runnin Win2K) over the network in a workgroup (where all other users run W98). It is a simple filesharing problem right. I have tried everything I know including setting a share drive "C", adding users with full control, setting up user account on the 98 machines..... Everytime I try to access the Win2K machine it gives me a path --> //"myservername"/IPC$ then it asks for a password. Every password fails including adminsitrator passwords....geez im about to pull my hair out!!!

From your other post, this was working before you defragged the win2k C: drive. And you got a suggestion to remove & recreate share. I'd suggest doing a bit more removing:-

1. Remove all shares on 2k (including default ones like C$ and IPC$). Reboot - windows will recreate default ones - and you can recreate ones you want.

2. If that doesn't work - try removing the user accounts on 2k machine which are set up to give win98 logons access, and setting them up again.

I've got no idea what's caused the sharing to stop working - these are just suggestions, which shouldn't cause any additional problems, and might just shake it back into place.

From what type of OS are you trying to access your shared folder? Are you using the right username (one with sufficient privileges)? Are you sure that the username you use to connect is correctly defined in the W2K machine?
(these question may look stupid but they are necessary to correctly configure your problem)

If you login your win98 machines you enter a username, is this username with the samne passwort entered to your win2k workstation? If it is, it "should" work. Let us know :)

well, i still doesn't work...my brain is fried and i've got every one in the office driving me crazy...im gonna start from scratch and try to move everyone to XP...hope it works...would life really be simpler with just plain ole' typewriters?

Create a local account on the Win2k Box, and set the users password to what ever your current login in password is,
then when you connect to the say, just throw in your password, it really should work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back