Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total Death but i need the Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

danp123

Technical User
May 24, 2003
GB
Hi,
My Pc is up the chute totally
Was playing a game on it then all of a sudden blackness now everytime i boot it jus loads either a blank screen or a green screen with a moveable mouse and thats it. It just will not budge it worked in safe mode once but i cant get it into safe mode again what button is it for the menu seeing as my pc is that pain in the rectum make compaq when do i need to press it seeing as if i press F8 during boot up it just says keyboard error and im too late afterwards
please please help me i need the data
Win 98SE

Your best bet it to buy a harddrive install the OS and add your lost drive as the slave (opps am I allowed to say that). Drag over the data needed. Or you can installed the drive into another pc as a slave drive and drag the data over.

Jason

so whats dead on my pc then? if i keep getting these black lines all over the place
how do i set it as a slave on another pc and why me!

1)"so whats dead on my pc then? if i keep getting these black lines all over the place"

It sounds like a harddrive. I can not tell for certain unless I look at it as it sounds like either the HD is dead or the motherboard.

2)"Why me!"

Because a computer is like anything else it doesnt work forever, it will break. i have had many HDs and motherboards.

3)w do i set it as a slave on another pc"

Remove the harddrive and find out who manufactured it and go to their web site and they will explain how to set it to slave.
How long have you had your Compaq?

Jason

Everybody has days like this. Just that your lucky combination came up today.
Unfortunately, it takes days like today to make you understand the need for backup.
Something in SE is broken, or the hard drive has a read problem.
Time to try the emergency boot disk you created when you loaded SE. YOu may be able to save data from the DOS command line you will be in with the EBD.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

but it all boots in safe mode when it does load up in safe mode but i just cant get the safe mode prompt up can you just tell me how

For Windows 98 and Me, to enter safe mode as the computer is booting press and hold down the "F8 key" on the top of your keyboard or press and hold down either the left or right Ctrl key as the computer is booting, then select 3. Safe Mode.

There is a reason why many computers come with only a one year guarantee at most. Something may go wrong after a year or two. The most common hardware failure is the hard drive, besides abused keyboards and neglected mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back