Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

total and absolute, unconditional NTFS format

Status
Not open for further replies.

iblearnen

Instructor
Jul 17, 2005
US
I am in search of a superior method to clean-up/format my clients Hard drives. As most of you know, the majority of computer manufactures offer systems restore option options, yet only a few offer what a clean install will get you, a total and absolute, unconditional NTFS format, none of this quick NTFS stuff. In addition, many companies such as Toshiba and emachine have the ghost reinstall system that I have seen some persistent bugs live through. Are any other options available when all you have is a system restore disk set?
Not counting loading, say win 98 and than performing a clean install and not an
Up-grade to XP. Thanks in advance.

Ib-learnen

If you boot to CD.. and FORMAT is that not a 100% clean format.???? Win 98 thru XP has the feature(s)...(I slipstreamed my standalone copy of SP2 to XP .. added bootable.. burned via Nero... works for me.
I wrote this at the time v.1213 was released in beta.
you can use any name you want since you have to type these in manually
recommend you keep them short and precise..Yes there are some programs out there.
but I found if you can understand MyWay.. it works on all versions if typed in correctly.
If you do it wrong it will give you an error msg.

Start -> run ->type here

<drive>:\<what> -s:<to drive>:\<what> uncompressed
c:\1213-sp2.exe -s:c:\winxp

c:\winxp is uncompressed file from the ISO....
after you get your notice that all was successful recompress all the files
into a new .iso
I renamed my C:\winxp to WXP_SP2.1213

c:\1213-sp2.exe -x:c:\sp2.1213 uncompresses the sp2 into new dir.
then u can use winiso to replace the needed files

-x = extract to
-s = upgrade
sample is shown. Nero has make bootable with instructions included... or you can google "make bootable CD."

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

If you boot to CD.. and FORMAT is that not a 100% clean format.????

Depends on what you mean by clean. There are several utilities to recover a disk from a format. As are there several to completely do a clean format; c.f. :
I think part of the original poster's question is the notion of partitions, including possibly hidden recovery partitions. FORMAT is partition specific.

I have been using the Ultimate Boot CD for all my electronic janitorial tasks for a while now.

It has several wipers and FDISK type utilities, plus other really handy stuff and it's free.

Can't argue with useful and free. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back