Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba (shudder!) Strata DK424

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoominCo

Vendor
Sep 19, 2003
US
Hope someone in here has a little experience on this, I'm an Avaya tech, havent touched a Toshiba in 7 years & not used to thinking in Japlish . Now then, customer called, his (and the only one within 300 miles)Toshiba tech/dealer moved 150 miles away and he's looking for a new tech. Well I'll try anything once so...I can't get into programming from the only 20 button phone attached to the system. I did the *#*#*1*2*3...nuthin??? what'd I miss? Only have chapter 3 of program manual, need to assign a line to ring an extension (prog 81 I think), a 10 second job on any Avaya!
Can I connect laptop & prog from hyperterminal? would this be easier? Anyone want to come to Colorado & take this customer over (for $50 per hr & no travel $$ ?)
Customer had this unit installed only 5 years ago is not ready to use it for a fishing boat anchor yet.
PS it has a voice mail in it and needs some mailboxes assigned...

Ouch...

I worked on the toshiba a couple of years ago so I am a bit more current than you, BUT, hahaha.

Try *#*#1*2*3. I think you have an extra star. Or #*#*1*2*3. Remember to press the speaker button first.

I think you are correct with program 81.

NO, you cannot use a laptop to talk to this system. As for the Voice Mail... well you need a proprietary (sp?) program provided by Toshiba. This program works on your laptop and uses a serial comm port. I cannot remember the name of it.

Good Luck!
P.S. I live in Canada, the trip to Colorado would be nice but I will pass!

Something just came to me. I think you have to press hold after the spkr + *#*#1*2*3.

I forgot that one! I would sure hope that any tech installing the system would have placed the only 20 button set on the proper port. If not, then you have two options.

1) Take the 20 button set off the port is it on and temporarily place it on the proper port for programming.

2) Bring a seperate set for programming.

guess no one has touched that one for a while, but i don't remember holding the spk key, #*#0, comes to mind but that might have been the mitel, from the same decade. think i got rid of those books years back, maybe someone left at least the program sheet on the job, they had the address you'll need, i do remember the toshiba perciption was the 1st "switch" that you could use a pc on.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Well I got hold of an outfit that offers support to their Toshiba customers/dealers the DK 424 does not prog from a laptop but the voicemail does. 20 button must be on port 5 and we'll see what else when I get the whole manual printed out. I know I cant do this customer justice when I have to read a manual printed in a foriegn language every time I visit,and chartge him for the time, so after this call I'm goin to tel him to continue to call the guys who moved away & pay the travel. they installed it and are familiar with it, and probably won't mess it up! I just don't feel right havin someone pay me to learn their system, half fast yet !
Thank you for all your help.
jim

hey i work on every thing that has a keypad
and all asian equipment pretty much programs the same
whats wrong with reading the manual I do it all the time
PDF's are the greatest thing on gods green earth
no printed manual anymore I fliped thru the manual in
about 2 nins and found ringing assignments and I'll
bet it would take 5 mins to figuir out on how add mailboxes on that system I never tell a customer that I don't know
that system I read b4 I get on site!it seams a lot of new comers are lost if they can't plug in a laptop they are lost.

Well cwc3, I don't know if I could be as confident as you. I wouldn't want to work on a customer's "mission critical" system unless I had some experience with it. Even with the manual in front of you there are often "gotchas" that can take some trial and error to figure out and can effect system operability. A customer's working system shouldn't be your guinea pig.

ZoominCo, I would recommend that you become a member over at the Telephone Tec Talk forums
There are forums for most major telecom manufacturers. Your question in the Toshiba forum would get answered by Toshiba techs who could walk you through this if necessary.

-Hal

Thanks hbiss. you've got it.
as far as newcommers go, I got the opposite problem, been doin this since 94, built central offices B4 that, was the outside repair installer for an operating company b4 that, worked in data comm since 1972 for RCA & Western union.
Did crypto in service B4 that.
Any more new comer comments cwc3?
It is un ethical to walk into a customers site & sit down to program a system you have no experience on unless you warn the customer first. We can all read and follow manuals, some of us faster than others. Knowing what a specific Manufacturer call a feature or function is a different matter. Like "Auto line select", "Preferred line", "automatic selection". three names for the same function. (At least Tosh Manuals have indexes!)
Anyway, I found the programs I needed thanks to telman a nd chapter s 1 & 3 of the manual.
Now to find a MacroVoice MVX Tel manual !!
thank you all for your help on this, and I'll check out that site hbiss.
ja

hey sounds like a guy like you should be able to work any thing.and breeze thru a tiny toshiba manual considering
the huge technical orders that were required reading
in the military.

true true, and once i figured out the terminology it was easy. (Toshiba's have probably the best manuals of all the Japanese systems.)

Even got around a Pana.DBS once, but it wasn't fun. Talk about Japlish !!
and the older pana KXT series. "Useful information for program to use it."
Hafta wrap my head in duct tape so it won't explode !
Thankfully don't see many of those anymore.

Thanks for your input.
jim

all you need is the program codes appendums for the kx-t and kx-td the manuals are useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back