Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba laptop - A real weird issue... Panicking now 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel999

Technical User
May 9, 2004
GB
Hi all. I hope that someone can help me. Picture the scene.
I have a toshiba laptop that I use only on mains power supply and have been using for 3 years as a PC and not using the battery at all. Battery is still installed but have never disconnected from wall socket.

Last night I went to shut puter off in normal way and now I have a black screen and can only see the cursor, nothing else. I cannot close the lid because I hear a bleep.

I have disconected everything from the laptop, brought it into another room and yet I can still see the cursor on the black screen. Obviously the supply now is coming from the battery.

How can I shut this damn thing down so to be able to reboot into safe mode. Will the battery eventually die and then the cursor will go off the screen? It's the black screen that is a worry. Could it be the graphics have died?

PLEASE PLEASE - ANY SUGGESTIONS.

unplug from the wall, and then remove the battery. then plug back in and retry

Scotsdude[bravo]

Hold down the power button for around seven seconds, and hopefully you'll see the lights go out and the HDD will stop spinning. This procedure usually allows the machine to shut off. Got stuck in Hibernate or Screensaver mode perhaps?

As to why it's done this, you will have to investigate next time you switch on...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

You may want to turn off Hibernate when back up, it often causes a lot of problems on older machines...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

unplug, remove battery, hold power button in for 30 seconds. Leave the battery out, plug in. Try booting up....anything?

And, if you do get it to boot, BACK UP EVERYTHING IMMEDIATELY!!!

Then you can start troubleshooting.

Tony

Thank you but...... Some people are saying reboot - back up etc. - Can I empasise that I cannot do anything with a black screen. I even tried to guess with the visable cursor where the start button would be but to no avail.
If the damn thing would close down then I would be 1/2 way there.

Mel in the UK

Does this machine not have a physical button you press to switch it on? This is the power button. Hold it down or hold it in, for seven seconds, and hopefully the machine will switch off.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Mel,
macten88 hit it on the button. You should unplug the laptop, remove the battery, then hold the power button down for 30 seconds.

After doing so, only reconnect the AC power leaving the battery out and try to power it on again. This gets the laptop to start over from the beginning at the POST screen. I recommend you go into the BIOS and disable all power-saving options that you find (look for sleep, standby, etc.). Do the same in Windows. Only leave the standby option for when you're on battery, or if you manually hit the sleep button.

Now even without removing the battery, these steps will work sometimes. However, more often than not, you have to remove it.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hey... Thank you all for the input. I now have the laptop running again. What would we do without you guys?
A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL - Thanks again.

Mel in the UK

mel999, don't forget to reward your heroes with stars for their help! It's the only kind of "pay" available on this board :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back