Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba HD Sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmpbmp1975

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
CA
Hi All,
I have a Toshiba Satelite Pro 4600. And I notice the hard drive is very noisy. I hear the clicking the guy at the store said it is normal, anyone experiance this.

hold up, calm down...

All harddrives make a "clicking" sound when the heads are moving, some are just louder than others. I don't know that Toshiba model specifically to say how loud they are, but the loudest ones are quite noisy.

As long as you are hearing regular "clicking" sounds every time the disc is accessed you're alright. Not until you start hearing a random "clunk" or two, should you start worrying.

In other words, the clicking sound is synchronized with the hdd activity light on your case (if your case has an led, that is), and that is most definately normal operation, even if it is loud.

I also have a Sat Pro. Mine makes the same noise probably twice a month. However, after about 5 seconds it quits and it seems it only happens when I come out of standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back