Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba C655 has power, won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb63640

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
Dell laptops are the only makes I know, so this was new territory for me.

My nephew's Toshiba Satellite C655 wouldn't power up with the power adapter after the battery lost its charge. Nephew said he dropped the laptop while the adapter was plugged in.

Sounded simple enough and I installed a replacement DC jack/power cable, after watching the "how to tear it apart" video on YouTube (very helpful!). When I removed the keyboard from the palm rest, there was a collection of sticky brown residue. Spilled soda, perhaps? I've never found a keyboard yet that was held in place by anything other than screws.

At any rate, disassembly went well and installing the replacement jack was easy, as was re-assembly. After it was all done, I plugged in the power adapter and a green indicator light on the front came on, so battery left to charge overnight.

This morning, I find that the thing won't POST. After I hit the power button, the CD-ROM light will flash, and the power indicator with flash green on the front of the laptop case, but that's it. No display (either on LCD or attached external monitor), no beeps to indicate a trouble code, no other sounds, and no joy.

I'm thinking the motherboard is damaged from the sticky residue. Any suggestions/advice from Toshiba gurus?

I'm thinking the motherboard was damaged due to it being DROPPED!

If you take all the memory out, does it do a "I have no memory installed" beep code?

I thought our little wild time had just begun.

Found my answer! I took the cursed thing apart one last time. This time, I removed the CMOS battery and left it out a few minutes before I replaced it.

After I reassembled, it POSTed, and displayed the message about F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup. I set time/date and boot order preference, then restarted. Happily, I got the Toshiba splash and Windows login.

Life is good again for my nephew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back