Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Topology question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a workstation connected via a framerelay router to a corporate network. The workstation has a static IP as a client inside the firewall of this network. I also have a home lan with a dhcp/NAT router that I'd like to have access to from this same workstation. Is there any way to have this workstation simultaneously connected to both networks? Can I add an additional NIC and achieve my goal? I'd like to prevent access from other home clients to the corporate LAN. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Unless your router is configured to access both networks within a VLAN you will have to log in and out of each one. You must use a computer to set restrictions to the other clients. What IOS are you using?

Thanks for your help. I'm using windows clients in all cases several are win-me, one is win-xp, and the client on the corporate lan is win2k. At present these are two separate Lans. But I'd like for the win2k client to be able to be logged on to the corporate lan and also be able to be on the home lan. Currently the two lans are not connected at all.

if you add a new NIC you will be able to access the two networks but the home LAN can't get the Corporate network unless you activate the Windows' routing capabilities (Win NT, Win2k Adv Serv) because a workstation isn't a router

Thanks for the tips. One more question, if I install two NICs in my win2k workstation. How will the various programs know which network to use? For example, will I be able to have two browsers open each using a different network? How will I be able to tell the workstation to boot to the nt domain on the corporate lan using nic 1 and to boot dhcp on the home lan? Are there other issues that I will encounter? I'm not concerned about routing between the two networks as I want to keep them separate except to use the single workstation to access both.

Thanks.

your workstation can select the best route consulting its routing table, which are fixed by you in the Control Panel -> Network(where you can configure all network parameters) . You have two networks (2 different Ip Address) and one default gateway (usually Internet interface). If the internal network (the other interface) has more than one then you have to establish static routes (select internal networks which you would arise).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back