Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Topic of Discussion -- Cookies & Session 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

link9

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
So one of the things that I am really fuzzy on is how session variables and cookies work together.

It is a major point of disagreement between many people, and I have personally witnessed session variables acting screwy when cookies are disbled. The thing is, though, that it doesn't seem to completely disable their effectiveness, which I have heard people say that it will do.

There is something about the session id that needs to be somehow persisted on the users' computers in order for the server to still know who they are, so I would think that cookies need to be enabled in order to do this... but I am not sure about that.

Anyway, what I would like is to get a little discussion going here as to EXACTLY what the relationship between the two are. I know it would clear the air for me, and maybe some other members would benefit, too.

Thanks for anyone's input! :)
Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

Also it might be this situation when a cookie is lost.
quote from "MSDN"

Managing Sessions Across Multiple Servers
ASP session information is stored on the Web server. A browser must request pages from the same Web server for scripts to access session information. On cluster of Web servers (where many Web servers share the responsibility for responding to user requests) user requests will not always be routed to the same server. Instead, special software distributes all requests for the site URL to whichever server is free, a process called load balancing. Load balancing makes it difficult to maintain session information on a cluster of Web servers.

To use ASP session management on a load-balanced site, you must ensure that all requests within a user session are directed to the same Web server. One way to do this is to write a Session_OnStart procedure that uses the Response object to redirect the browser to the specific Web server on which the user's session is running. If all links in your application pages are relative, future requests for a page will be routed to the same server.

________
George, M

I've found an answer to my own question about a visual tutorial. I had found plenty of text answers on my searches but none that had enough pictures to keep the computer-hesitant soccer mom interested.

For anyone's info here is a great video on how to turn the cookies on for IE6. They also have other browser security related videos online.

By the way, why is Snagit any better than taking my own screen shots?

Didn't windows have a movie capture kind of record for capturing mouse moves?

Thanks for your help.

-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back