Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top Secret/SCI phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjwilson12379

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2003
I have a client who is a contractor for DHS and is going to have us implement a new IP Office network between their offices all across the US. They are asking if any of the phones Avaya has our TS/SCI acceptable?

I have not been able to find anything on Avaya's site RE this. Any thoughts, directions to go, or answers?

Thanks

What is TS/SCI ???? From here I can tell you.

ipo.gif

"Launching late 2006

TOP SECRET: Applied to information or material the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security.

In addition to the above, some classified information is so sensitive that even the extra protection measures applied to Top Secret information are not sufficient. This information is known as "Sensitive Compartmented Information" (SCI) or Special Access Programs (SAP), and one needs special "SCI Access" or SAP approval to be given access to this information.

Very cool until the black helicopters start following our trucks and vans around the area.

The last time had a classified area with a phone was on an old Magix, but the TSG rules should be about the same as 3 years ago.

According to ATAC, Tone Commander makes an approved secure phone. I think it is ISDN-based. Tone Commander might even be a DevConnect partner. The Definity is/was an approved system, but I do not know what modifications are required. I did not get much further than that in my research.

The customer had an existing secure phone that used an analog port, but I never saw it or how it worked (Just easier that way).

Good Luck,
Frank

Frank Robertshaw
OEI Telcom
Nashville, TN

Couldn't this status be achieved by an IP phone that uses an approved VPN connection? If there is a VPN format that is approved for TS/SCI status, then the IP calls (by default) would also be encrypted to that degree.

Hope this helps...

Kris G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back