Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top of Information Store -- is a corrupt file

Status
Not open for further replies.

gchaple

MIS
Jun 16, 2000
GB
I have been getting the following error message for a number of weeks now:

WARNING: "John XXXXXX [JohnX]?Top of Information Store?Deleted Items?Kings Court Access Road" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This means that the job fails, although it in fact only fails to Verify and the data is actually backed up. But it would be handy to fix this.

Backup Exec 8.50 Rev 3571 on WIN2000 Server SP2
Exchange 2000 (no service packs)on another WIN2000 Server SP2

I have tried things like turning off email retention to make sure the email is gone.

I notice that Backup Exec 8.60 fixes a problem similar to this. But if it can be sorted another way do I need to get the upgrade just yet.

Exchange SP1 (or SP2 which has just come out). Maybe this is the way to go.

I even remember reading *somewhere* that I can stop the verify failure killing the job via the registry

Has anyone seen got over his problem before

Plenty of times. That particular problem is an email in the guys deleted items folder.

It is not actually corrupt though (usually). Nothing to worry about and there are several things you can do. Ask him to open the item, save it and close it. Ask him to delete it (in this case he could empty his bin).

Alternatively, you could get into his mailbox and do either of those for him....

Although getting rid of the corrupted file is certainly the best way to go, you can also stop jobs from failing when they encounter corrupt files. There's a registry change/addition you can make to fix it.

It's referred to in Veritas' knowledgebase article #193940, and it tells you to look for the value "Fail Jobs On Corrupt Files" in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup

If the value exists, change its data to 0 (zero), or if it doesn't exist, create it and set its data to 0.

Another thing you can try is downloading and installing 8.5 version 3572 rc9 and see if that helps (If the files are corrupted this wont fix it)

I have been having similar problems. I have gone as far as replacing the server because of suspected problems with the back plane on the original server. With a new server and hard drives the problem still exists.

I would turn off the value in the registry but the real problem is that the amount of time that it take for the backups to run has increased tremendously because of these supposed corrupt files.

I have ran all of the checks and commands in Exchange 5.5, this will solve the problem for maybe a day and then it is back to the original problem. The number of files that are listed as corrupt also increase on a daily basis.

I would appreciate any help if anyone out there knows of a real fix or any suggestions that might be able to fix this ongoing problem.

Do you by any chance have anti-virus software running on that server? I have Etrust InoculateIT with the Exchange option on our mail server, and for some reason if email protection is enabled, I get the same errors...Dont have a solution yet except to disable it while backups are running...so if you do have AV software, you may want to try disabling email protection to see if the problem goes away.

In BE you can specify commands to run before and after the jobs. Use the net stop and net start for your AV engine and the backup job will go back to full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back