Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top and Bottom N

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgul

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
US
Hello - maybe there's a real simple answer to this that I am missing, but I am trying to use the Top N Expert to display both the Top and Bottom N of a particular group(in this case I am trying to count the top and bottom 5 clicked links to see what worked and what did not within a particular marketing effort). I did a search and it did not yield any answers.

The Expert gives me the option of Top or Bottom N. I did try creating a formula and a "dummy" group off the formula but that did not work.

Any ideas?

I am currently using CR 8.5 - all data connections are to a SQL Server 2000 database.

Do you want both to display on one report at the same time?

If so that may be a problem. You could create a paramter field that prompts the user for TopN or BottomN, and get this with 2 executions of one report. For the field to group on, write a formula:

If {?Parm}="Bottom" then -{YourField} else {YourField}

This has the effect or reversing the order of the TopN. Compliments to Bruce Ferguson at on this one.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Yep - you're exactly correct - I would like to display both on the report. A section would have top 5 links AND bottom 5 links.

I did see Bruce's tip from my searches but it did not apply to my situation.

Maybe the answer is a subreport or more creative use of formulas/groups. I will do some more digging and if I can get something I will repost - thanks for the reply.

B.

OK, heres another idea.

Write a TopN to display every group. Then write a formula field to determine the maximum groupnumber and place it in the report footer.

Finally, conditionally suppress all groups if the group number is in the range of 6 to Max(groupnumber))-5. Basically we are just suppressing all the stuff in the middle.

I have not tested this, but I am sure this will work, you may have to play with things a bit here.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Guys, don't give up that easily... :eek:)

Step 1: Create a Running Total (count) that resets for each group.

Step 2: In the suppress expression for the detail section, have something like:
-------------------------------------------------
{#RN1_Count}>5 AND
{#RN1_Count}< Count({some_field},{Group_By_Field)-4
-------------------------------------------------

Obviously, if you want N to be a parameter,
substitute:
5 with {?TopBottom_N} and
4 with ({?TopBottom_N}-1)

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back