Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tools you can't live without 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasperTFG

Programmer
Nov 15, 2001
US
This I guess started in the VB Trick thread but I brought it over here. May be helpfull to see what tools everyone out there uses in the VB programming lives.

The tools that I couldn't live without are.

1) Google Toolbar - great for web searching and it blocks pop-ups, also has an Auto-Fill feature as well as can translate pages from other languages.

2) Agent Ransack - great for searching for files. Especially if you find an error in code that you know you use everywhere. It can mine into the files and display out instances of ohrases in that file.

3) WinHex - great for seeing what's actually in your file. Especially when VB can't read your Text file and when you use winHex discover that it's a C File.

4) WsFTP - Mostly because I can never remember all my FTP passwords

5) Terra Term Pro - VT100

6) My most valuable tool...

Casper

There is room for all of gods creatures, "Right Beside the Mashed Potatoes".

1) Winzip
2) Unipad
3) HexEdit
4) XmlSpy
5) WinGrep
6) Winamp :)
7) Mozilla Firefox

Chip H.

1) IrfanView
2) Firefox
3) Dimension 4
4) VirtualDub
5) AceFTP

SmartFTP
EditPad
Firefox
Thunderbird
7-Zip

MZTools from

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

RegEdit (in system folder)

I checked out the MZTools link and installed it on my machine. The tools seem very handy! Thanks for the tip johnwm...

You're welcome [smile]

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Forgot about mztools. Good one, John.

Chip H.

My boss has a big stick to beat me with if I program too slowly - does that count as a mangement tool?

- Andy

Regedit
Regmon
Filemon
Regedt32
cmd
tcpview
procexp
tracert
ipconfig

coolio

Palmermon - Always Thinking

vb5prgrmr, you get a star for the best creativity!

the ulimate if you need to find that piece of info....

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you obviously haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation

Editeur 4.6 for allowing column-select AND rectangle-select and sorting on any part of the line, plus all the usual stuff like syntax highlighting, tabbed documents and conversion tools.

Until recently, Inno Setup. I second Beyond Compare, 173234!

Also, a small set of screwdrivers to clean the inside my mouse every once in a while.

This really isn't a tool for programming, but it is very powerful and I use it daily.

Dameware remote control and utilites.

I love Dameware, its much better than VNC, PCAnywhere, etc.

But MY most popular tool is a remote-boot-floppy! Power off, floppy in, power on, F12, and ten minutes later the user is back at it...who cares what they did/didn't do.

SQL Delta

This is for databases, not VB, but it's very useful nonetheless. This tool compares two databases and tells you exactly what is different. It looks at everything including data and will also generate scripts to make the target DB the same as the source. It's a little pricey ($225) but very powerful.

I haven't used winhex. What is is for and where do I get the manual to see how to use it.
also can I use it to recover and restore corrupted files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back