Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TOOLS TO MONITOR AND DIAGNOSE NT SERVER PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2001
US
I'm having a lot of problems with a particular server, I would like to find out if there are any good tools available, that would monitor and help me diagnose a lockup problem on this server. At various times it becomes unresponsive and I receive event id 2022 in the event logs.

1st defrag the disks,
if that doesn't help then see the first 2 Q articles that come up when you search microsoft.com for Event ID 2022.

good luck

I've done all of that researched the event id thoroughly. The disk has plenty of free space and even still I doubt that a badly defragmented disk would cause the server to become unresponsive to users and not be able to log on and access files.

Yes I've tried the eventid.net site its pretty good, but everything explained there does not provide me with any additional insight.

The below TID talks about the maximum number of connections to the server being exceeded, it also has a link to Optimizing your server.

As a side-line to the TID, have you done a packet sniff while your server is having problems. The first thing that springs to mind is something flooding your server/network with requests. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

Yes I've applied this registry patch before and it doesn't seem to help any, this is one of the first things I've tried. The sniffer is a good idea, I haven't yet done that it should be my next try. Thanks for the tip. This problem is very strange only 8 users on this network could it possible be coming from outside of their network. They're connected to us via a frame relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back