Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tools>options>default Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2006
US
Hello,

It has be a long time since I set the default directory in the tools>options of my foxpro9 system.

I can't recall which file type I had to put in the location.

I am not sure if the file type is "Default Directory", the "Search path", etc. I confuse the names of the different file types.

Any tips to get me on the road

Charles wnscc@wnscc.org

The easiest way to do it is to start VFP and n the command window
Set default to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
set path to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Go to Tools, Options, File Locations
Hit the "Set as Default" button

David W. Grewe Dave

The Help file is a great source of information. So please use it. You can read the article on SET DEFAULT, SET PATH, there is also a great article in there called "Options Dialog Box", and a link there to the "File Locations Tab, Options Dialog Box" part - everything you are asking about, and many other good things.

If, for some reason, you don't have the Help installed, you can find it online, too, on Microsoft site:

And please, don't cross-post the same question in several forums.

Default Directory = the folder where your application is
Resource File = Foxuser.dbf
Search Path = All subfolders that your application uses.

Charles,

I am not sure if the file type is "Default Directory", the "Search path", etc. I confuse the names of the different file types.

Yes, I can see that you are confused.

You don't put file types in those locations. They are directories, not files.

The roles of the default directory and search path are very simple:

When VFP tries to open a file (any type of file), it first looks for it in the default directory. If it doesn't find it there, it looks in each of the directories in turn that you specified in the search path. If it still can't find it, it reports an error.

(Of course, you can also code an explicit directory path in the name of the file, in which case the above does not apply.)

Basically, you store the various files that your application needs in appropriate directories, then make sure that those directories are in the search path.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back