Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[Tools>Folder Options] /"View"\

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashthud

Programmer
Oct 6, 2008
GB
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder

This is the place you add items to: [Tools>Folder Options] /"View" tab\
These items can then be used (outside of registry) to change registry values.

Anyway! I was wondering if i could use this idea to instead of EDITTING a dword's VALUE... RENAME the dword.

Ashthud

For example let's say i have a key @: 'HKLM\SOFTWA~1\Micros~1\Windows\Curren~1\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\blah' with these values:

RegPath = "Some\Path\To\A\Reg\entry"
Text = "ThisDoesNothing"
Type = "checkbox"
ValueName = "someVAL"
CheckedValue = 1
UncheckedValue = 0
DefaultValue = 0

If the checkbox was checked it would change the value of "someVAL" (in "Some\Path\To\A\Reg\entry") to 1...
But I want to be able to rename "someVal" to let's say "anotherVal".... or better yet, to delete the "someVAL"

Ashthud

I don't quite follow your question so my answer may reflect that.

If you change the name of a Value then Windows may not recognize that renamed Value as having any particular function at all. If you change the Data of any Registry Value then that may cause untold consequences depending on how Windows is programmed to react to the value data it is reading. The same principal applies to just deleting any Registry Value

Launch RegEdit and use the Help program as it is your best source of information about RegEdit.
These following links take the subject a bit further too.

310516 - How To Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a Registration Entries (.reg) File

310426 - How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features

I remember the first time I looked at the Registry and how daunting it all seemed, but with time and plenty of safety nets (see below) it soon becomes as familiar as using Explorer.

If you change a key or value, use the Export function to save a copy of any key prior to your change. You just right-click on the highlighted key to find Export.

To backup the whole Registry for easy re-installation (even from other operating systems or DOS) I recommend this free program.

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP

I dont remember the first time i looked at registry coz i was about 12 which is 2 year short of a decade ago... i often forget all the fun scary stuff that ive accidentally broken, except! I DO remember trying to delete my c:\windows folder coz it looked a mess.

Anyway, i dont think i explained it enough. Here's my situation:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideExts]
"Text"="Hide File Extensions"
"Type"="group"
"Bitmap"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\
  00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,\
  48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,34,00,00,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideExts\lnk]
"Type"="checkbox"
"Text"="Hide .lnk Extension"
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000000
"RegPath"="lnkfile"
"ValueName"="NeverShowExt"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
This code adds entries into registry.. these entries are used to add a checkbox into explorer's tools>Options>>View Tab

At the moment when you tick the checkbox it only changes "HKCR\lnkfil\NeverShowExt"'s value to 1... but i want to delete "HKCR\lnkfil\NeverShowExt" or rename it. I want it not to be read!

Ashthud

Are you saying that you want to remove the line "Hide extensions to known file types" from appearing in Folder Options/ View altogether? That might not be possible.

Are your access permissions correct for editing the Registry? Can you use the access permissions to your advantage?

ARGH! lol ... i can remove THAT easy. I have added a new checkbox in Folder Options/View when i tick it, it changes a registry value to "ROAR" when i untick it a registry value becomes "ARGH".

But instead of my checkbox EDITTING a value i want it to remove/create a DWORD.. or maybe rename it.

[Please don't under-estimate the difficulty of my question, i believe it's possible more complex than you're anticipating] thanks for the help so far.

Ashthud

Sounds like you want your checkbox to cause the running of some type of script that loads a .reg file that then makes changes to the Registry and then reboots the computer so that any changes take effect? Perhaps your checkbox will have to do something with the various RUN keys in the Registry? It does sound complicated to a layman like me.

Have you tried asking your question in the VBscript forum to see if they can offer you a different approach to your problem?

I could easily do it by script.. i just fancied the challenge of doing it by folder options > view. Never mind ill use a .reg script or summat

Ashthud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back