Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbars won't come back 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosterhus

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
ok, somehow all of the toolbars in word have dissappeared. they have not been drug off the view of the screen and there is no longer the long list of toolbars in the view>toolbars menu only about 4. in excel, access, pp they are all there.

this is what i have tried so far: complete uninstall and then reinstall; downloaded microsofts eraser utility and uninstalled again and then did a complete reinstall. This computer is in a lab at a highschool.

please help!!!! this teacher needs her toolbars

Did you try View, Toolbars, Customize and Reset? That should make them available in the menu, at least.

Have you tried clicking on View then Toolbars, and select Customize in which you can set up your toolbars and how you want them to look?

Two suggestions:

1) Are you in Fullscreen mode. This happened to someone before and they couldn't get their toolbars.

2) If its not the above, you could always re-install Word. I know its a bit extreme just for some toolbars, but at least it'll bring them back.

thanks for the quick replies!

bguantt - i have tried going to the customize menu but there are only those same 4 toolbars in the list.

thatrenowned -
1) i am not in fullscreen mode.

2) i have already uninstalled the entire office 2000 program and reinstalled it as well as using microsoft's eraser utility.

thanks

It could possibly be a corrupt normal.dot file. Try renaming it, e.g. normal.old, then go back into Word. It'll recreate the normal.dot and hopefully restore your toolbars.

Patster - we are on the same track i tried that already...keep the ideas coming please! I hate to reformat but i am getting to that point!

I had this same issue happen with the Access program for a client who ran some Access VB program that kept changing this setting. The missing toolbars were because of a registry error it kept creating.

I am not 100% certian if this is the correct registry key but you may want to to look at HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\office\9.0\Word\Data and look at the Toolbar value (perhaps compare it to another machine)

If if I find an article in technet I'll advise further.

Cheers joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I had the same problem with Office 2000 Pro... I installed it for a friend, and she then installed Office Premium on top of it and the install never finished... Needless to say I spent hours (days) trying to get the toolbars back... My only recourse (other than reformatting) was to create toolbars and have them come up as the defaults, a few items were missing, but they were functional...

joegz - well, that worked i found that registry key and exported it from another working machine and the toolbars came back. you are a lifesaver. i gave you a star. thanks
mosterhus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back