Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbars in MS Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

al929

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
For some reason all my toolbars and icons are gone from the top of my MS Word program when I open it up.
I am getting the ruler on the top and the scroll bar on the side. When I try to right click where the menus should go I am not offered the choice of reinstating the menus. I have tried reinstalling to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated.
Alan

Try Tools/Customize/Toolbars...and then RESET. Ive done the same thing before. Hope this helps

I am NOT getting the menus when I open the program.

How odd, you could try the ALT+T key combination to see if the menu is hidden somewhere. ALT+T followed by C will take you where you need to be if so

Alt+T is not even working. This is pretty distressing!!

I've seen this before. However, I don't have the answer at my finger tips. When I get in to work I'll send you the answer.

I had a user do the same thing and it took some time to find the fix. If you search the KB at support.microsoft.com I bet you'll find the answer there quicker if you're in a pinch. I believe it was a registry hack.

Craig

Try searching for "normal.dot" on your hard drive.
When you find it, do one of two things... rename it to normal1.dot or delete it.

If you have more than one, rename them or delete them, whichever you prefer.

Reopen Word.... when Word is reopened, it will recreate a normal.dot with the default settings. This will bring your toolbars back, or it should.

Hope this helps....

I've seen this problem before but can't put my hands on the solution. In the meantime, Alt-V is the keyboard shortcut for the menus.

Try holding down the ALT key and go along the Function keys starting with F1 to see if any of those kick it into gear help. F4 closes word so maybe skip that one.

I had the same problem and i sorted out by changing something in the registry its basically related to data key, Well i dont remember the exact location of that registry key but it diffinetely works.

Check the above site it has information related to your problem and also the solution for the same.

I agree with Ladyck3 -- try deleting the normal.dot file. That has worked for me every time I've had toolbar problems....

It is not normal.DOC, it is normal.DOT. Also, did you read the additional instructions at my link?

If you cannot find normal.dot:

Check under User Templates in the Tools-Options menu of Word, on the File Locations tab. If you do not have "permission" to rename normal.dot, check with your network administrator or internal helpdesk (applies only on some PCs at work, not home users).

If you have Windows XP, you may need to turn on viewing of system files in order to find your normal.dot. To do so, open Windows Explorer, and go to Tools-Folder Options. Choose the View tab, and choose to Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Anne Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back